Who’s The Best Actor/Actress? Who Is Overrated??

by minimus 37 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Gene Hackman

Helen Mirren

Jane Fonda

Jack Nicholson

I`m thinking about the different roles they played in films and how well they adapted to them.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I like Jennifer Lawrence

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Biahi

Thanks. I knew there was one rattling around my head. Have you seen Winter's Bone?

She dropped out of jr. High

• minimus
    minimus

Jack Nicholson is a great actor but I wonder if rumors were true a few years ago that he was losing it?

• Simon
    Simon

I think a lot of these "great" actors are not such great actors because they really always ultimately play themselves. Sure, some are enjoyable to watch, you like the characters they play, but great acting? Not really.

For me a great actor is when you watch a movie and almost didn't realize they were in it or can't comprehend they were the same person that played some other part in some other film.

So someone like Gary Oldman, who played Churchill so well, but was also Sirius Black in Harry Potter or a terrorist in Air Force One or Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK. Just wildly different characters and you almost don't realize it's the same guy.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Mark Rylance. He was superb in Wolf Hall. His easy-going way with King Henry was particularly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIz70StmpU

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My thing is that I watch a show. I don't care who the actors are, I don't even know most of their names. I either enjoy the show or I don't.

It's entertainment, that's all. A charade. A game. I don't really care who these people are. They are no different to you or me. Nothing special. They'll die just like all of us.

Now, Doctors, Firemen, Nurse and the like are worthy. Pay these people more than sporting and acting types and perhaps we'll be somewhere near a better system.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Some of my favourite actors ...

Robert De Niro

Sigourney Weaver

Anthony Hopkins

John Hurt

Jack Nicholson

Anthony Perkins

Jamie Lee Curtis

Kurt Russell

Bill Paxton

Lance Henriksen

Jeff Goldblum

Naomi Watts

Who do I think is overrated? Will Smith - in every movie he's in, he plays Will Smith, f**k me! XD

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

De Niro is great.

All the actors and actresses mentioned here are legends.

Watching Joachin Phoenix in Joker, though, put him on my personal favorites list. That was an amazing performance. It takes great talent to make the audience both be empathetic and repulsed by a character at the same time. A lot of that is writing, but without an actor to deliver the performance perfectly like he did, it would've been lost.

Another great film I enjoyed was The Irishman. Acting was on-par for all the greats; De Niro, Pachino, Pesche, etc. But it was great.

I think by far my favorite actors of all time, though, were Henry Fonda and Gary Cooper. Both are consummate orators.

Check out this clip from The Fountainhead. Hard to beat a monologue like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4MKIDvXLM

• minimus
    minimus

Phoenix is a superb actor. He devours his parts. He studies them and the character becomes part of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit