Do Circuit Overseers Give Up Their Lives For Jehovah?

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi Bradley,

So your grandfather is an authority on CO's and their work. You forgot to mention how many years he actually DID the work.

Or was he an authority because he was an elder? Isn't that interesting.

Perhaps you should have consulted him before you wrote this:

Besides the issue of retirement most COs and DOs are compensated financially for everything they do (in the developed world, at least).
    Even he should know that is a load of garbage.
  • rocketman
    rocketman
    I don't think they have it so bad. I think most R&F JWs have given up far more in their struggle to live. Let's see what they have not had to give up. Where I last went the following was paid for the CO.

A nice, fully furnished apartment centraly located within the circuit.

A new car

Insuranace for the new car

Meals taken care of by pubs when visiting.

Under the table perk$ by those looking to get on his good side.

expenses picked up by congregation

Worshiped by a new crowd every week.

Good list Beelzedub....yep, they get all these perks, which the average Joe can't afford or could barely afford if he worked full-time.

• rocketman
    rocketman

KInd of reminds me of a line from a Ol Lang Syne or whatever that Xmas/NYears song by dan Fogleberg was called: "The audience is heavenly but the traveling is hell". I'd imagine that all that travel could be hard, unless one likes to travel.

Then there's another song lyric that goes something like: Let's be gods, the perks are great".

• logansrun
    logansrun

Yesidid,

I never said my grandfather was an authority on the life of a CO. In fact, I mentioned that what he said is doubtless an exaggeration. All the same, he has spent nearly fifty years as a dub and therefore can make some judgement call as to what he sees externally.

As for my comment, why yes I do believe that COs are compensated financially for their work. As has been mentioned all their needs and expenses are cared for and, except for the matter of possible retirment, they do not have to worry about money at all. That's not to say they are in any way wealthy, but they sometimes do have nicer things than many a R&F.

Bradley

• yesidid
    yesidid
    all their needs and expenses are cared for

Since when Bradley,

They have to pay for some food,[breakfasts fruit etc] , their clothing, their medical expenses, telephone, and computer. The fact is all their needs and expenses are not cared for.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    They have to pay for some food,[breakfasts fruit etc] , their clothing, their medical expenses, telephone, and computer. The fact is all their needs and expenses are not cared for.

This is ridiculous. Many a times as an MS I read resolutions to the congregations to pay for the CO's expeses. I've seen what they record as their expenses (I was also accounts servant) and it listed such things as cereal, the phone bill, gas and other minor things. They also get plenty of golden handshakes as well. My brother in law's grandfather was a CO and I know for a fact that he would get many "perks" from the friends. He was an avid golfer (his name was Sam Reno, btw) and he once told my brother in law that he never paid for his golf outings.

In short, although you are correct that the CO life is not some sort of panacea, you are quite wrong in stating that it is economically difficult for the majority.

Bradley

• fairy
    fairy

well, i can remember that when the elders knew the circuit overseer was coming, they use to ask who wanted to work with them in field service and put peoples names down for whatever time they wanted to work with them in the field service and also they use to ask who wanted to have them around for meals, like lunch and dinner but mainly dinner i think and i know that people use to give them money and other little gifts. and i am sure there were donations given to the circuit overseer as well to cover other expenses

there were some that were very nice and there are definitely some that use to think they were just it.

• minimus
    minimus

Circuit Overseers are handsomely rewarded in my area. I knew that there were a number of persons in our congregation that would give $100 cash, everytime the CO visited. I know of at least 3 or4 in our Hall. I knew others that regularly gave them gifts, clothes, jewelry and charge cards to use as they wanted. Now, if you were a CO in Taiwan, I doubt you'd recieve the same perks.

• berylblue
    berylblue

As poor as I was, I'd usually ante up a twenty (at least) for the CO and DO. I can't believe I was the only one.

I'm not saying that this is always the case, however.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82
    As poor as I was, I'd usually ante up a twenty (at least) for the CO and DO

oh my gosh, when i was a kid me and my brothers and sister actually looked forward to donation time! sick!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit