1975... the year that keeps on giving.

by silentbuddha 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• hoser
    hoser

I lived through the 1975 shit show as a child. My mom still denies to this day that the watchtower promoted the date.

I know some need greaters moved to our congregation from Edmonton before 75. One family got disgruntled and left in 76. I still remember the father coming to our house and telling my parents how it was a sham. I wish they would have listened to the man.

The whole 1975 move to some backwoods town had a huge impact on peoples lives

• waton
    waton

hoser: Edmonton? is that not the place, the suburbs, where they drank the tea too?

1975? a moving experience, a dry run for 2075.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Unfortunately even to this day most JWS have no realization of just how 1975 was devised or calculated by its theoretical speculation of mankind's existence from Adam 6000 years forward, the WTS even made it look confirmed by stating this calculation came to October of 1975.

Neither are they aware that the WTS used this calculation previously twice before decades apart.

• waton
    waton

Even Isaac Newton tried to calculate that time span. Usher too tried to usher in the millennium.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Setting times or said significantly important dates by the WTS has been on going since its inception as a religious publishing house . late 1980's.

Unfortunately most were devised without critical theological support or either intellectual honesty .

Saying emotively inspired BS to attract attention to the literature the WTS published was the inherent agenda, for that the WTS was subsequently successful.

• waton
    waton

finkelstein, I believe you are wrong to accuse all end time prognosticators of dishonesty incompetence and exploitation.Acts 1:7 states: that is not given to the best even, to understand times and seasons, Newton risked everything in his undercover secret religious writings. It is very hard to labour through the convoluted genealogies of scripture to come to a good result at the right side of the equal (=) sign.

Many sincere students, wt heavies included, remembered the last words in the talking snake stories collection . I am coming quickly (soon) come!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Acts 1:7 states: that is not given to the best even, to understand times and seasons

Yes and Jesus said that it not for anyone not even himself to set a time upon god's sacred time.

So the WTS and other Adventists disregarded Jesus's words of admonishment.

Russell, who you could say was the founder of the WTS., followed the theological ideas from other men, they weren't directly supported from out of the bible.

So you say the WTS. didn't intentionally hype up dates as a means to further support Christ's return in 1914 ?

• waton
    waton
    So you say the WTS. didn't intentionally hype up dates as a means to further support Christ's return in 1914 ?

I was referring to attempts to crack the time and timing enigma. I actually consider time to be the latter day forbidden fruit that the creator has put in his own jurisdiction.

Wt was late to ride the wave of support, the swell, that the 1975 passage in the book had generated among the jws.

you are not wrong that wt dates served to perk up the circulation.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fisherman, dear Fishy Show me where in the Bible it says anything about 1914, or 1919 when Watchtower ( or that crook Rutherford) was supposedly chosen by Jesus.

And if you try to bring up Daniel, you do know that Jews consider the book of Daniel as " writings" don't you? With the song of Solomon, it's considered a fictional story, it didn't happen. Not historical at all - by the guys that wrote it.

And they should know. They are the ones that put the books of the OT together, in 300BC. In fact many Jews only consider the Tanakh as sacred. Some historians query when/if the OT was put together at all by ancient Jews.

• waton
    waton
    Given 1975 and that the date of Eve's creation is a variable: Adam was still a bachelor at age 42 -and counting. Fisherman/silent buddha.

Am I allowed a korny original thought episode from that 42 + period? :

Adam was looking then for appropriate names for the animals like "sloth". So he looked at the coiled snake, tightly hugging, encircling a tree and thought Circles?--Pie, 3.1426, lets call it : :--Pie..., no Python. The snakes learned to speak later, to naked ladies, and encircle prey only after the flood, which also left the speechless.

forgive, mental gymnastics to keep a nearly 90 year old brain young.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit