Whats the deal with the napkins on the head?

by RoadDoctor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• RoadDoctor
    RoadDoctor

What is the idea behind the sisters wearing a head covering when they lead a group for field service? Is there something written in the bible New World Translation about this?

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

apparently god created women, then decided we were really so horrid he couldnt even stand to look down on our bare heads while we prayed to him.

i have no idea what scripture they pulled out of context to come up with this one. it always struck me as completely moronic.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I've got to hand this one to the Watchtower... they're on pretty solid ground (by Fundamentalist standards, of course) as far as women wearing a head-covering when praying. They're full of B.S. when it comes to women having to wear a head-covering while conducting field-service groups, teaching a bible study, etc.

1 Cor 11:4-16 (New American Standard Bible)
    Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head. But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head. For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; for indeed man was not created for the woman's sake, but woman for the man's sake. Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God. Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering. But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.

Liberal Christians might suggest that Paul was giving counsel specific to his social context, when veils were a common article of clothing for women. I'm surprised, however, that more Fundamentalists don't require that women cover their heads when they pray.

Of course, Paul's fundamental misoginy shines through, especially in the second paragraph... even though he goes on to contradict himself in the next paragraph!

• jelly
    jelly

I cant agree with god on this one. I for one love to look down and see a womens head.

Terry

• archangel01
    archangel01

The point being ,women should have Long hair, most women will say short hair on another woman is cute well not to us guy's.Woman look better with long hair.The most beautiful women who ever lived had long hair an thats a fact.A womans hair is her crown so let it flow. A head covering is really for woman with short hair or who because of sickness/ genetic reasons can't have long hair. I guess it depends on the sitution not really the custom because if the custom of the land is for woman to have short hair then a Christian woman in Christ does not have to follow that/should not follow that because the Bible said a woman should have long hair an that's that.Must follow God not man. Well that's my two cent on this topic

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Oh good lord archangel01 .. you can't be serious ?! Women look great with long hair and some women look fantastic with short hair. Now thats a know fact in history. If you like long hair on women that's fine .. but don't cast your thoughts into everyone elses mouth.

By the way .. is your hair long ? We wouldn't want you following mans way instead of gods.

monk3y

• berylblue
    berylblue
    The point being ,women should have Long hair, most women will say short hair on another woman is cute well not to us guy's.Woman look better with long hair.The most beautiful women who ever lived had long hair an thats a fact.A womans hair is her crown so let it flow. A head covering is really for woman with short hair or who because of sickness/ genetic reasons can't have long hair. I guess it depends on the sitution not really the custom because if the custom of the land is for woman to have short hair then a Christian woman in Christ does not have to follow that/should not follow that because the Bible said a woman should have long hair an that's that.Must follow God not man. Well that's my two cent on this topic

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

I think jelly is close to the mark on this one.

It is for convenience, and for sanitary reasons.

cheeses - not really a wicked mysogynist.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

"I cant agree with god on this one."

It was'nt God who said this, but Paul who obvious had not much credit for women.

• blondie
    blondie

Not to debate the scriptural necessity, I was a regular pioneer, who was assigned by the elders to lead coordinate the group on several weekdays because no brothers were present. I routinely had a nice silk scarf tucked away in my book bag. The congregation I was in had a nice scarf kept in the room where meetings for field service were held whether it was someone's home or the KH.

It sounds to me like the "napkin" sisters were unprepared perhaps because they were used to a brother always being there. Or perhaps these sisters resented the procedure and this was their way of demonstrating that.

Blondie (grew up in a divided household and saw mom wear scarves a lot)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit