Whats the deal with the napkins on the head?

by RoadDoctor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

The head-covering issue is an example of how JW's pick and choose the ancient customs they feel are laws. Jesus told his disciples they should wash each others feet. Actually it was stated as a command. JW's excuse themselves from this ritual by saying it was a custom that no longer applies.

Unfortunately this tendency to exalt custom to LAW is what has led to the Watchtowers deadly blood transfusion policy.

• Francois
    Francois

You've got to put Paul in his own context. He was a Pharisee and he never quite rid himself of his particular school of absurdity, one who particularlarly hated women, indeed one which considered being caught in the shadow of a woman toxic.

What you have to do with Paul is take what makes sense to your mind, and which appeals to your heart and to your spirit and leave the rest as the road kill that it is. This would apply to the head covering nonsense. Paul was a little flaky, poor bastard, bless his heart. I think he should have kept his entire head in a sack. Paul represents the triumph of fundamentalism over Christ, and as such is better kept in the basement with your crazy aunt, the dumb bastard.

Take what you can stomach of the old Pharisee and discard the rest.

Frank Tyrrell

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ugh! I hated this "righteous requirement" almost more than any other. As a good dub, I was rarely embarrassed about the things we did. But the head covering issue? Completely lame!

• La Capra
    La Capra

The only time I saw the napkin technicality used was during girls-only showers and teas. It was time to eat, and the hostess wouls just grab the nearest thing handy-a napkin off the table. Otherwise there was someone prepared with a hat or scarf. Not that this will ever come up for me in my life again, but I think I would rather have a clean napkin on my head rather than the "congregation scarf." Thme nits is nasty...Shoshana

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    women should have Long hair, most women will say short hair on another woman is cute well not to us guy's.

Uhhhh........hope you're speaking for yourself.......forgive me for saying this but I wholeheartedly don't agree with the "cave man" mentality of that statement.

There's some damn good looking women out there with short hair my friend.

• unique1
    unique1

I hated putting that stuff on my head. Bunch of crazy shit. But it is in the bible. I think Paul was a bit of an extremist, I mean after all didn't Jesus have long hair? It wasn't a disgrace to him. It wasn't like they had barber shears back in the day and they all didn't have those shitty feathered hairstyles as shown in the WT publications. Maybe Paul was speaking of varying lengths of hair. God only knows.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

The notion that men somehow have a "special" or "unique" position of understanding, responsibility and/or authority is common in all ancient religions. It has been a useful tool in subjugating other humans.

Take a look at the Imams, Buddhist Monks, Catholic Priests, etc.. Some protestant/evangelical religions have seen the advantage in improving the position of women, but I question the motive.

I recognize the apparent physiological differences between the genders but do not ascribe to anything beyond.

• LDH
    LDH
    her hair is given to her for a covering

!!!!! But, you still have to wear a head covering. LOL.

There is the sweetest old sister in my old congregation--Audrey H. She always invited my sister and I over. Her husband was not a JW. Man, was he a hoot! Talk about yer crusty old farmer. Anyhow, before every meal, he allowed her to pray, and GOT DAYUM if she didn't slap a potholder on her head to do the deed.

LOL!

Lisa

• Francois
    Francois

"Unfortunately this tendency to exalt custom to LAW is what has led to the Watchtowers deadly blood transfusion policy."

Not only that but exalting custom to LAW is where the Pharisees of Jesus time got Jesus to call them whitewashed tombs full of dead men's bones, full of corruption. And then he really got nasty.

FT

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I cut my hair short one time and it looked horrid on me. I just didn't have the features to have short hair and get away with it. This thing that women only should have long hair? What a load of crap, I suppose a woman going through chemo and losing her hair means she falls out of God's favor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit