New JW.Watch Website - Plans, Ideas & Submissions

by Simon 36 Replies latest forum announcements

• carla
    carla

Simon said that ex jw's and non jw's often know more about the org than jw's, so true!! I can't tell you how often I would tell my jw something about the org and he would swear up and down that it was all apostate garbage only to find out it was in fact true. (my jw joined up later in life)

Or I would know something was coming down from the gov body and he would dismiss me entirely only to have to sheepishly admit that it did happen later. I knew these things from this site and it's wonderful posters.

We no longer discuss jw things but it was good to know these things while we were.

I used to use the old 'Quotes' site a lot for the history of the crazy stuff. Obviously I still failed miserably trying to get him to see, but I guess they must come to the conclusion on their own.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think you can really wake someone up until they are ready. You can plant seeds, little nuggets of information that will be useful and may help when they are, but you can't force them to see the truth.

It's why buying advertising or billboards or sending letters and all these things to get a message in front of someone are mostly pointless. It's not that they don't know about the messages saying the WTS is wrong, or haven't come across them that's the issue. It's that they are just not ready to let go.

We have to be careful that most of the marketing isn't really only appealing to those who have already left and maybe looking for repeated validation or reaffirmation for their choice.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Tips on education? Continuing, resuming, using, and usefulness of humanity degree or plumber.

• carla
    carla

Just to clarify, my anti jw literature was aimed at unsuspecting householders not jw's. It was quite a long time ago now. My jw was one of the rare ones that was caught up by someone knocking on the door and you know the rest of the story....

Kind of funny now that I did that because it is not my nature at all. I would chuckle a bit that my jw was out knocking on doors in his car group for what? 4 hours or something? and I would hit about 150 paperboxes in about 20 minutes or less. (it is illegal to put stuff in peoples mailboxes where I live, you could use the paperbox though, now hardly anybody gets a newspaper anymore so most people don't even have a paperbox)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Simon in response to a posters request for a non religious therapist, Scully and I both posted a page called "Find a Secular therapist" which covers all the English speaking countries and maybe could be posted under a "Help" section? The "Recovering from religion" organization is another good resource.

https://www.seculartherapy.org/

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Carla Just to clarify, my anti jw literature was aimed at unsuspecting householders not jw's. It was quite a long time ago now. My jw was one of the rare ones that was caught up by someone knocking on the door

This is where targeted and even general information is definitely useful. It's why everything everyone posts on line is positive because it raises the profile of those who have left and just why we view Watchtower as harmful.

Prophylactic medicine always works the best!! If the public have truthful information before the JWs call, they will be far less vulnerable to their tactics.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I can think of a couple of things I'd like to bring to the table. With my background as an accountant, I have considerable knowledge of financial management. I'm not a lawyer, but I've handled lots of legal documents and have some (both fortunate and unfortunate) experience wit the law.

I've noticed that lots of people (not just XJW's) have some gaps in their knowledge of these two subjects. In the U S at least, I lay this problem at the feet of our educational system. On this board I'd be happy to answer questions about these subjects. I have from time to time attempted to read the tea leaves in regard to the Watchtower's money management.

And I'm always happy to blather about my books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit