New JW.Watch Website - Plans, Ideas & Submissions

by Simon 36 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

No, its purpose isn't to debate which religious interpretation of the bible is right or wrong, that's just going to be fodder for arguments and preaching and turn some people off. So none of that.

It's not intended to tell people to become atheist, stay christian, or become some other type of christian or that the JWs are wrong. It's about helping people make good choices when leaving and providing guidance and experiences from other people who have had to make the same choices.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Reading people's personal experiences, choices, good and bad, on this site, helped me save my family from JW land.

Recently, I said to my wife, "We're pretty lucky to have so many amazing people in our life."

She said, "Lucky? That's bullshit! We worked hard together to get this, that's not luck."

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

My only suggestion is that it be mobile friendly. If it were possible to have a phone app with an easy to navigate interface it would go over well.

• Simon
    Simon
    Lucky? That's bullshit! We worked hard together to get this, that's not luck

People save themselves, all anyone else can do to help is to make some information available and share their own experiences, but people should be proud of what they did for themselves.

I think especially if you were born in - you were indoctrinated for most of your life and you still saw through it all!

My only suggestion is that it be mobile friendly. If it were possible to have a phone app with an easy to navigate interface it would go over well.

Yes, it will be all modern, mobile friendly and also work offline like an app (great if you want to read things on a trip for example).

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Avoid JW has been relaunched (it had been dormant ever since Lloyd got into it and went after the owner, Jason M Wynne.

Home - Jehovah's Witnesses (avoidjw.org)

Twitter user "Larchwood" is a good source on WT history and has been given their own section called "The Looking Glass" on AvoidJW:

The Looking Glass - Jehovah's Witnesses (avoidjw.org)

Kind of like an updated version of jwfacts and I can assure you the owners are no fans of Lloyd.

For YouTube, the exJW Critical Thinkers (Lady C and JT) have a good mix of doctrinal videos and interviews with former JWs. JT is a former Bethelite elder and has a good grasp on how the WT works.

There are more great sources out there but these two came to mind and would make valuable additions to the links sections.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I saw that on Twitter. Nice job on the relaunch!

I found the CSS animations a little intrusive - I hope they cut down on those, I think it would help with readability which should be the main goal.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I think perhaps an anti-JW.org would be great. Not necessarily the meat and potatoes content about 607 and 1914 nobody in the organization would ever understand or reads, but simple articles, if well written, targeted at specific audiences (young people, people thinking about joining and actual members).

The one thing the JW does well is have catchy phrases and seemingly deep questions that pull you in, then they use deceptive tricks (1 truth and a half truth) to make people think they have good answers. So if you take the same approach but use actual correct reasoning, you can point out logical inconsistency.

I’m not necessarily a good writer, but I can editorialize and research pretty well, I’d be willing to help out, but I have a real life now, so I can’t dedicate hours per day to this.

• Simon
    Simon

Honestly, why? Who does any "anti" site really help? Why become the exact thing the WTS wants you to be?

Do exJWs really need their ears tickled so much?

This wallowing in being "anti" is counter productive and doesn't help anyone IMO

We want to focus on healing and living your life, not grief and resentment.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I think this would be great. One aspect of leaving the WT that I find is really difficult for some is personal accountability and agency - especially as it relates to family members that are shunning. The tendency is to absolve family members of the horrible things they are doing.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, it's a losing argument to blame the WTS for shunning.

First of all, they can't really shun you. Is the Governing Body that never spoke to you not going to speak to you? Only your friends and family can shun you, people that you care about.

So put it on them, don't give them an "easy out". If they can blame the WTS and if you also blame the WTS ... well you've agreed with them that they have to and can. Instead, tell them that they don't have to, that the WTS has no power. That it is completely up to them what they do ... and you'll judge them for it.

Don't reenforce the belief that the WTS is in control and the people have to do what the WTS tells them. Remove that thought, introduce the idea that they can chose what to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit