Introduction - Any Believers?

by Believer 240 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    And since we don’t have the capacity to experience spiritual things through our senses, who knows what other spiritual things there might be.

Good point.

So how do we know the bible isn't a hoax written by Satan? How could you know for sure?

• cofty
    cofty
    That could include angels and other beings that are not made of flesh and blood.

Serious question - What are they made of exactly?

• Believer
    Believer

Ugh. I had to respond.

DJS, there is nothing wrong with emotions and feelings. Its part of life. I enjoy being an emotional being, experiencing the highs and the lows, enjoying love, and beauty and imagination and hope. Only robots and automatons don’t have emotions. Even atheists have emotions. Look at you. Next to Tor’s post, yours (the one you edited) was the most emotional of all. Rather than flushing emotions down the drain, it would be better to learn to manage them. Unless you want to be an automaton.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Why do people believe in the Christian God?

The likelihood depends upon the continent on which you were born.

North America? Europe? Your likelihood is much higher than if you were born in Asia.

Is god so selective that he favors certain continents over others?

• Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome Believer!

Silence is the natural language of god........ all else is a bad translation.......Rumi

Unfortunately the only proof we have about a creator is through the writings found in the holy books. These are only speculations about beliefs that have an uncanny way of mirroring the culture that evolved their religion.

I take no exception to someone who believes there is a god, a Creator. I understand that this is an issue of faith. When believers go beyond their faith like declaring that Evolution was not the process through which living things developed it is their ignorance that is corrected not their need to believe in a creator.

Billions of people were hard wired to believe in their culture's gods. Many have a need to believe in a higher power and that's why we have hundreds of religions and thousands of variations of those hundreds of beliefs. We also have had thousands of dead religions and dead gods in human history.

Intentional ignorance is involved in maintaining a system of belief that is not fact based.

That ignorance often spills out when a debate turns to science, history, morality and so forth. It is at that point when critical thinking starts to be voiced by non believers who take exception to bad science etc.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I am no longer a beleiver, but I do respect that you are. I won't try to make you feel like you ought to be an atheist now that you are no longer a JW. Some people do that unfortunately. Welcome!

TB-

• DJS
    DJS

I am no longer a beleiver, but I do respect that you are. I won't try to make you feel like you ought to be an atheist now that you are no longer a JW if you don't try to impose, promote, preach, pontificate or proselytize your religion or theism on me. Some people do that unfortunately. Welcome!

• cofty
    cofty
    I won't try to make you feel like you ought to be an atheist now that you are no longer a JW. Some people do that unfortunately.

Nobody "ought to be an atheist".

We spent our lives in the cult hiding from a lot of facts about reality and protecting our ideology from scrutiny. It is reasonable and respectful to assume that everybody who has left welcomes information. What people do with that is their choice.

• prologos
    prologos

welcome believer, I am a theist, believing that the universe did not make itself, but that we as a race, as life, but particularly as persons, are special, but - might not be as important as we believe we are. so: I am not that kind of a believer you might be talking about in the PO.

I stand corrected, thank you cofty, I meant deist, and my mind is slipping, no spirit watching over it.

• cofty
    cofty

Prologos I thought you were a deist?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit