For Mexican food Lovers only!

by jst2laws 50 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Valis,

Dallas: Ojedas on Maple

Is that where we met last summer when we came out to dallas for the duel birthday party for me and Billygoat?

Jst2

• Valis
    Valis

no that was Snooky's. We will go to Ojeda's the next time you grace us with your presence though...you can leave joy at home...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mulan
    Mulan

Too bad you missed our big Mexican meal when we were camping, Steve. It was pretty awesome. Of course we had our very own Mexican, in residence, my best friend's son. I learned everything I know about Mexican cooking from her.

We get together every year and make tamales to keep all winter in the freezer. She taught me how to make them about 30 years ago. They just get better and better. And now we can buy all the ingredients and the corn husks right here in the grocery stores................thanks to our influx of Hispanic people.

She is about to go to Albuquerque for her annual "green chile" reconnaisance mission. She always brings back the BEST tortillas and bags of New Mexico red chile, which is far and away the best ever.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Forget Tex-Mex! There is nothing better than authentic Mexican cooking. The best I ever had, was in a town called Morelia(sp) in the state of Michoacan, Mexico. They have the best Enchiladas I have ever eaten. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

I have to disagree with a couple of you, who said that there is no good Mexican food outside of Texas, Oklahoma or New Mexico. We have quit a few here, in the area. El Dorado, El Meson and a little Mom and pop restaurant in Apex (the name slips my mind at the moment, but their food is authentic Mexican) All of which have some good food. El Meson has the best Chili Rellenos and for shrimp fajitas, I like the restaurant in Apex.

The Mexican women get a kick out of seeing this honky, when I order Jalepino peppers. I love the way they saute them whole, in oil. It really brings out the flavor.

Shari (another of the Mexican food lovers)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Ojeda's is great. BTW they've opened one up here in Plano, just off Central and Park.

A good old standby is Casita Dominguez. My favorite enchiladas are there.

Mia's isn't bad, and same with Mariano's.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Definately Tex Mex..Valis.

Chimichangas: Invented~ at Tucson's El Charro, another restaurant that lays claims to the chimi. The eatery came into existence in 1922, founded by the late Monica Flin. Monica's great-niece Carlotta Flores also says the chimi was created in the '40s. In her version, however, it happened in Tucson.

In the El Charro account, Monica was in the kitchen, surrounded by nieces and nephews. A burro accidentally dropped into a vat of oil. She went to cuss, but what came out was "chimichanga," the equivalent of "thingamajig."

NO one can really lay claim on who dropped the burrito into the oil first. Who can claim, 'My burro fell into the deep fryer first?' It's a great culinary mystery.

The chimichanga has its roots in Arizona or northern Mexico. One reason is that Arizona flour tortillas are bigger than tortillas from other regions, which is why a chimichanga is usually defined as a fried burro, rather than a burrito.

Whoever says he or she invented the chimi probably does think he or she invented it, but it could actually have been arrived at by multiple people.

Mexican ranchers started grilling their burros in oil, creating the crispy texture that makes the chimichanga unique.

To explore the history of the food's name. Some call the dish a "chivichanga." Chivi means "goat" and changa refers to a female monkey.

If it was invented by ranchers in northern Mexico, you can see a bunch of cowboys making off-color jokes about what they were eating. It is a little risqué.

1 lb. ground beef
    1 can (10 oz.) Old El Paso tomatoes and green chiles
    1 packet taco seasoning
    12 flour tortillas
    3 cups shredded lettuce
    3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups taco sauce

Brown ground beef and drain; stir in tomatoes-green chiles and seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Spoon 1/4 cup mixture along edge of tortilla. Fold nearest edge over to cover filling. Fold in both sides, envelope fashion. Roll and secure with two toothpicks.

Fry in 1 inch hot oil. Drain on paper towels. Before serving, top each with desired toppings.

I guess it is better than Chupa Sangre!

X

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    I have to disagree with a couple of you, who said that there is no good Mexican food outside of Texas, Oklahoma or New Mexico

Wildhorses, you are, of course, correct. I've just shown what can happen when we make blanket statements. I should have started the sentenace with " it has been my experience." I have never received a good Mexican food meal outside the above named states. However, if we should ever get to your neck of the woods I'll be happy to try any place you recommend.

When I was a teenager we took a little trip to New Mexico and stopped at a place in Albuquerque for our noon meal. The menu was about what you would expect in a Mexican food eatery and I ordered the meal I wanted and then the waitress asked the strangest question, "do you want red or green"? I didn't know what she was talking about, but sure didn't wish to show my ignornance so, thinking green was a pretty color, I ordered green. Of course she was talking about the type of chilis I wanted. Well, when she served us, my food was all green and it was hotter than a Baptist preachers version of hellfire. But taste wise, it was to die for. I can't rember eating a better meal in my entire life, in spite of the fact it was extremly spicy hot. Bug

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I love Mexican food...but I'm sure living in Ohio, I don't get the real stuff that you in Texas get. I won't even eat at a TacoBell or TicoTaco....yuck

I also want to mention to people that think they can't eat mexican because of ulcers or whatever, That when I first met my husband, he said he couldn't eat mexican because it hurt his stomach. So I eased him into it a little at a time. Over time the chilis actually helped his stomach and now he's the 'hotter the better' type.

Oh and one more thing. I am related the the Pace's....as in Pace Salsa. Yep, and if I knew how to load pictures, I'd show you a picture of my great-great-grandfather Pace.

Lisa

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Mulan,

Joy told me what I missed. Not making that trip was one of the biggest disappointments of the summer. We are reserving two weeks in that camp site for next summer. I think we will be traveliing a lot next year, and trying a lot of Mexican food as we go.

Steve

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    I can't rember eating a better meal in my entire life, in spite of the fact it was extremly spicy hot. Bug

The hotter, the better IMHO. mmmm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit