Is the name Jehovah`s Witnesses a misnomer ?

by smiddy3 14 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I ask this because from what I read on this board lately is that they JW`s seem to be very reluctant to engage in conversation with anybody nowadays and are only interested in placing literature at carts.

And if anyone brings up questions in their D2D work that challenge them ( like the ARC ) they will promptly excuse themselves and move on

Also didn`t Jesus say "this good news of the Kingdom would be preached in all the Inhabited Earth " for a witness ?

When was the last time you heard a JW speak about "the good news of the Kingdom" ? they seem to speak, when they do about anything but "The good news of the Kingdom" , how is your day,lovely garden you have here ,I see you have children ,Well have a good day now .etc.etc.

• pomo6780
    pomo6780

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but I can see an increase of jdubs making sense of who they are and what they do now within their belief system by getting straight to the Kingdom message and by increasing their service. I've heard of more auxiliary and regular pioneers and more studies being started, in Britain anyway. Unfortunately despite all the news reports exposing abuse, jws are soldiering on in the UK.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Not just a misnomer, but anti-scriptural and anti-Christ as a previous post proved.

Here is the essence of it: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4885250786197504/what-org-teaches-8-jehovahs-witnesses-our-scriptural-name

Isaiah 62:2 - "... be called by a new name, which the very mouth of Jehovah will designate."

Acts 11:26 - "the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

Matthew 10:18 - ".....for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations.

Mark 13:9 - "......before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them."

Luke 24: 47,48 - "....and on the basis of his [Jesus'] name....You are to be witnesses....."

John 1:15 - "John bore witness about him..." [JESUS]

John 5:37 - "the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me."

John 8:18 - "the Father who sent me bears witness about me."

John 15:26,27 - "the spirit will bear witness about me; and YOU in turn, are to bear witness."

Acts 1:8 - "You [11 faithful apostles] will be witnesses of me...."

Acts 4:17,18 - ...upon the basis of this (Jesus') name .... upon the basis of the name of Jesus.

Acts 10:39 - "And we are witnesses of all the things he [Jesus] did..."

Acts 10:43 - "To him [Jesus] all the prophets bear witness....."

Acts 13:31 - "who are now his (Jesus') witnesses to the people.

Acts 22:15 - "because you are to be a witness for him [Jesus] to all men......"

Acts 22:20 - "......the blood of Stephen your [Jesus'] witness was being spilled..."

Acts 23:11 - "..... a thorough witness on the things about me in Jerusalem..."

Acts 26:16 - "I [Jesus]..choose you as an attendant and a witness.. respecting me"

Romans 8:16 - "The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit..."

1 Corinthians 1:6 - "even as the witness about the Christ..........."

1 Timothy. 2:6 - "......what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times."

2 Timothy 1:8 - "............of the witness about our Lord.. [Christ]"

1 John 5:9 - "the witness God gives...the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son."

Revelation 1:9 - "....for speaking about God and bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 12:17 - ".......and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 17:6 - "........and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus."

Revelation 19:10 - ".....the work of witnessing to Jesus.... bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 20:4 - "............ for the witness they bore to Jesus."

Ask any J.W. to counter all of these scriptures with just one verse which says Christians must witness for "Jehovah."

The embarrassing silence, followed by a feeble non-scriptural "explanation" will say it all.

• alanv
    alanv

Pomo, last year in UK the publisher increase was just 26. Certainly hours spent goes up every year and as counting time is so easy now (just standing by a cart and watching people walk by) its understandable how that figure can go up. Also even if bible studies go up, it doesnt seem to equate into more people becoming witnesses. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2017 worldwide report, to see what is happening in UK now.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

@The Fall Guy Isaiah 43:10 I'm guessing most would use.

Thanks for that great list though, Colt Seavers!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@The Fall Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1qQ_BaTHI&t=63s

This Witness says that they're called Jehovah's Witnesses because they imitate Jesus' example to give honor to his father, or something.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Is the name Jehovah`s Witnesses a misnomer ?

Yes.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Since nothing really surprises me anymore, I can see them changing their name. It's been done before.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Since nothing really surprises me anymore, I can see them changing their name. It's been done before.''

Wouldn't surprise me either, shouldn't surprise anyone really. With the Borg getting weirder and weirder all the time, you never know!!!!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

As Nelson says: "haw haw!"

Yeah I guess real bible following people should be Jesus' witnesses since that's what he said they would be, or is the JW moniker some hidden admission that certain verses make little j out to be the same One as big J?

In any case, I'm sure is not rare for folks here and the rest of the planet at large to notice how bad the JWs stink at doing their so-called god given work.

If I were big J, I'd be pissed, and they'd be fired!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit