Is the name Jehovah`s Witnesses a misnomer ?

by smiddy3 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
  • Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

Their own encyclopedia - Insight into the holy scriptures admits that the original pronunciation of the name is lost and that they use the common English version under the heading 'Jehovah'. (if it hasn't been changed by now)

How do you base a whole multi million member organisation (that control peoples lives, to the point of having them die or breaking up families) if you don't even know the real name of your God? This is especially mind boggling considering the emphasis they put on the importance of said name!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Confused said

How do you base a whole multi million member organisation (that control peoples lives, to the point of having them die or breaking up families) if you don't even know the real name of your God?

Well, duh, because how can you be friends with someone without knowing and using their name? That's why JWs use the name. You should go to the local Kingdom Hall, maybe you would learn something!

Ok I was just kidding there, but more seriously... I don't remember the exact publication but I think it was an older (1950s maybe) OD book where they admitted that they prefer the form Yahweh but used the Jehovah form because it was so widely recognized.

I think that's a holdover from using the King James bible where the J form was used in PS 83:18

What's in a name anyway? A rose by any other name will still make you bleed; a god by any other name will still destroy you at the big A.. or was that the big Trib... Who can keep all that stuff straight anymore?

• careful
    careful

The thread seems to have gotten off track. The OP smiddy, I think, is not talking about whether to call them Jehovah's or Jesus's witnesses, but the fact that whatever you want to call them, they are not giving the witness they used to. Rather they stand around the carts and seem to be intent on witnessing to no one:

JW`s seem to be very reluctant to engage in conversation with anybody nowadays and are only interested in placing literature at carts.

• Moster
    Moster

I seem to recall the name coming from Russel's view of the Pyramid of Giza as "God's Stone Witness".

Was this not the actual origin of the name? So whether or not they actually 'witness' is yes a misnomer, IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit