I don't get it - Marriage in WT world

by menrov 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes galaxie is right, the reasoning is that marriage must be lawful out of respect to the authorities—Romans 13. That’s why JWs must have marriages legally recognised.

Oppostate is also correct, because Watchtower were not always as respectful of authorities (they denied that Romans 13 applied to governments from 1929 to 1962) and for a period they actually discouraged couples from getting their marriages legally recognised. Does that mean some JW couples lived together without getting married in that period? It seems to. Which sounds pretty bizarre compared with current JW attitudes. But it was only for a brief period in the 1940s and 50s I believe.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

menrov ...
    It's simply the obey Caesar thing, that's all. What you have to do to get married can vary by country, State, even municipality. But generally there is no conflict with the Bible so you have to follow the rules of your local government.

Actually, Menrov is not the only one to have wondered about this.

It actually doesn’t make sense. The Catholic church, for instance, as with many religions, won’t consider two Catholics married UNLESS they have a religious ceremony.

There is no “obey Caesar” Since Caesar doesn’t require legal marriage.

It’s actually the opposite with watchtower, they will accept marriage at your local town hall even if you have no religious marriage, yet won’t accept a Marriage solemnized at the Kingdom Hall if it is not followed by a registrar witnessed signing of the certificate.....that always puzzled me.

It proves to me it’s all about the image of the organization.

edit: now I’m thinking, it’s probably more about disfellowshipping, shunning, DA and general “not good association - ness”. After all, all this means not everyone associated with watchtower and Jehovah’s witnesses Can marry in a Kingdom Hall so I guess they have to rely on secular marriage.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my old jw dad was an authorised person--which meant he used to attend jw weddings in the Birmingham UK area to do the form filling at weddings. this was in the time frame early 70's to mid 80's. he kept records for years in a strongbox.

he told me of one ceremony where the elder conducting was departing from the formal words the couple had to repeat; he had to interrupt and insist the elder used the correct words in the correct sequence. the elder was not a happy bunny.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember one wedding farce--back in the late 60's.

it was common back then for young dubs to marry in their teens--i was 20. my bride was 19.

a year or so later--an even younger couple got hitched..well--almost. they had hired a hall--organised a reception..new suit--bridegown for her--ring--the lot...well--not quite.

the talk got underway--we were guests--about 100 in attendance. the congregation servant did the talk. i cant recall the exact sequence of events--but it was realised there was no authorised person present, to officiate. it transpired they hadnt given the required legal notice ( the banns )..so the whole thing ground to a halt.

the reception still went ahead--but the couple went back to their respective parents homes that night.

they got a special licence and got married the following week.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Oppostate Dr. James Penton makes some excellent points and as always is fascinating, not to mention charming, to listen to!!
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Stan

If that goon had carried on and had his way, pretty sure ALL Jehovah’s Witness weddings in the Brummie area would have ground to a halt without your Dad sticking to his guns .......mind you I bet there’s a few poor sods wish they would have!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

DIO--yes--dad had to be very careful with proceedings--and record keeping--just in case the marriage went sour. think what could happen if it transpired a couple were never legally married after all.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Stan can you imagine? “ oh don’t worry, our Tommy, you won’t be disfellowshipped for adultery....you were never married in’t first place!!”😂🤣

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

What is it you don't get? Jehovah's Witnesses are strict followers of the Law of the land in everything, as long as it doesn't conflict with their doctrine.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Simple, the bible say's to obey the law's of the land, unless they conflict with God's law's!! Requiring a marriage to be registered dose not conflict with any of God's law's!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit