I don't get it - Marriage in WT world

by menrov 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• menrov
    menrov

In WT world, a marriage is only seen (considered) as legal if it is registered in the municipality (or similar governmental organisation). Now, if you look at the scriptures, there was no requirement to have a marriage legally registered in order to be considered married. Is it not strange that the WT subjects themselves to and adopts an worldly arrangement setup but governments rules by Satan when it comes to a marital status?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Not sure where you live, but where I live, a marriage is considered legal by the government only if it is registered by the local authority.

• waton
    waton

Marriage prospects are a major draw of wt inc and other religions.

In some countries, certain people can not get married, even if they in de facto are. so wt inc makes such unions possible by using the "declaration of faithfulness " arrangement.

Marriage registration is the simplest of the complicated legal hoops wt inc requires is its members to jump through.

• menrov
    menrov
    Drearyweather, that is my point, it must be registered with a (local) authority. But WT always claims that they follow the scriptures. Well, for WT, you are only considered married if it is registered with some local authority. There does not exist such a requirement in the scriptures.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

menrov ...

It's simply the obey Caesar thing, that's all. What you have to do to get married can vary by country, State, even municipality. But generally there is no conflict with the Bible so you have to follow the rules of your local government.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Meleti at Beroean Pickets just put out this video interviwing Dr. James Penton of Apocalypse Delayed, about matrimony and what Rutherford taught about it which is very very different from current JW doctrine

https://youtu.be/6WZMreD0VNU

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I often wondered the same. I understand that "not to bring reproach" you are required to obtain a marriage license where the state says you're not married without a license. However, I remember several weddings where Witnesses were to still "chaperon" the wedding couple until they signed their marriage license so they wouldn't commit fornication.

That is crazy! Those actions state that the spiritual marriage ceremony before God and man has no meaning. Only signing a piece of paper from the government. Not to mention, I had a friend who was disciplined by the body of elders because he was engaged to a woman and then he broke the engagement off. How much more trouble would you get into if you literally just exchanges vows in front of the congregation and then went "Nope! I change my mind," and then not sign the license.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

001+1=licensed to fuck

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The legalities are the bigger reason. the bible also had girls married at 13 ( despite jonah's old maid sister).

There is mention of a certificate of divorce, so there must have been some legalities back when

• galaxie
    galaxie

Caesars things to caesar.....unlike for example paying taxes which caesar can demand by law,there is no such obligation from caesar regarding having to marry. Being married as in registration by government does not fall into the Caesars things to caesar biblical edict.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit