Lawsuit Settlement Amounts

by Richard Oliver 65 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Simon
    Simon
    He has become the abject excuse-maker for JW organization's patriarchally backward and shameful child-sexual abuse policies and practices.

I agee. Arguing over whether settlement amounts represent "enough guilt" is refusing to see the elephant in the room: the claimed "inspired and spirit directed" organization can't even manage to follow some basic easy child-protection best practices but when it comes to coverups of abuse and protection of themselves, no expense of effort can be spared to try and further harm the victims.

• nelim
    nelim

Simon, you're the one bringing up "enough guilt". The guy is trying to find the facts. We might think the settlement amounts are too low or many more should be publicly known or whatever, but don't shoot the messenger/critic.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The guy is trying to find the facts.....nelim

He`s a Fountain of Endless Drivel..
    Image result for Fountain peeing

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    I have seen a lot of comments that it is just a small detail when it comes to how much the settlements were and if the number is accurate or not. Many people have said all that matters is that Watchtower settled and that shows their culpability in the matter. But can let me as you a rhetorical question. How many of those same people when the original Conti verdict came down said that the 20 million dollars showed that the jury saw the true culpability of Watchtower? So is it just a detail when someone questions that it may not be as much as everyone thinks and it is a huge detail when it is, in fact, a big number?
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

But can let me as you a rhetorical question.....RO

Image result for Clown puking rainbows

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

RO I don't think outlaw likes your posts very much!!!

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Ruby I don't know because Outlaw apparently cannot use actual words but can only use memes.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy
    Is there even a way we can ever find out what the settlement amounts add up to?
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Richard Oliver: You desire to be factual on a very sensitive topic and that is not necessarily a good thing. For instance, when I see news reporters reporting a horrible tragedy that befell of some kid out there and they do it with a straight face, I sometimes wonder about their humanity. Sure, news agencies try to be factual, but one of the best TV moments recorded in history was when Walter Cronkite reported the assignation while visibly shaken by the news itself. It made him human. It made him partake in the overwhelming feeling of grief that was all around on that day.

Here, you are talking about kids molested, many for years, while their misfortune was mishandled and often, worsened by the religion of their parents. You cannot, and should not, remain entirely factual. You should display some level of emotions about this; then be factual despite all the grief you should also share in. Trying to be “professional” and not share emotions only makes you less human, not more professional.

Kids were abused and we don’t know exactly how much the society is paying. However, a fair assessment would be: “a lot”, “millions”. How much exactly? No one knows. But to try to make it “not much” in the way you seem to present the information sounds like you are rejoicing in the fact that the guilty party is not being punished to severely.

Do you even accept as a fact that the Watchtower did mishandle a shocking number of sexual abuse cases?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Stephane I appreciate you admit that you don't care if it is accurate or not, and that is an acceptable position to have as long as you admit it. Your analogy of Cronkite is kind of wrong, he cried at the time that it occurred not days and weeks after as he was given news reports about it. Even now when breaking news happens emotions flare up but at a point, a respected journalist has to calm down and report accurate news otherwise they need to rethink the profession that they have. Sure if someone wanted to post that they received 12.5 million at the moment that the news broke that is one thing, but you have to then correct yourself when you calm down and realise the mistake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit