Part II: it's time

by Gorbatchov 31 Replies latest jw friends

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

What do you mean speaking to us personally? It's absurd that this person wants you to perceive scripted impersonal performances prepared and sent out to over 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses as something intended for you individually. The Governing Body could actually meet with the faithful, just like the pope holds audiences for Catholic parishioners from time to time, but I'm sure they're handling much more important business as they lead Jehovah's Chariot forward into the future over all the ruts and potholes in the road they refuse to fix.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Just unbelieveable. I agree with Half banana when all this paranoia cools down because nothing is happening there will be a mass exodus from the borg. I can only dream. Still Totally ADD

• sir82
    sir82

Oh, and the other fun thing to do when JWs get all hepped up on how "soon" the end is coming (not my idea, read it on this site many year ago)....

Ask the JW to make a deal with you. You give them say $10,000 cash right now - in exchange for a note which legally transfers ownership of their house to you in 5 years.

If the "end" is absolutely, fool-proof, not in any doubt whatsoever, going to come within 5 years, the JW has made a killer deal. He gets $10,000 that he can use for a "service car", or donate it to jw.borg, or spend 6 months in a "need greater" territory, with your money. And since "the end" is coming within 5 years, he doesn't have to worry about that real estate transfer - he'll petting lions and picnicking of tables filled with fruit in paradise.

It's a bet that any JW who is "absolutely certain" that it's going to come "within 5 years" should take in a heartbeat.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I remember being a little kid at my moms side having a pioneer sister tell her she needs to get baptized before 1975 (it was 1974 at the time) or she and her kids would die.

Since then it's ever few years it was always - THIS IS THE END!!!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its always surprising to me why JWS dont realize why out of the thousands of other Christian based faiths do not make such doctrinal proclamations like what the Watchtower Corporation publishing house does as in Christ's return in 1914, mankind is now living in the end times.

Like they are totally dismissive to the fact their spiritual leaders are in fact running a publishing house and there is no conniving intent to attract attention to the literature they publish.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

@ John.prestor absurd, but it happens. The average JW have different perceptions instead of your rational view.

They are in a cloud of mist, due to Broadcasting and their internal social blablabla.

G.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Quote- Come back in 5 years, show them the paper, and ask "what happened? I thought it was imminent." –end quote

[9-15-88 WT – Why, learning that Gog’s attack is imminent but that Jehovah will rescue His people ought to increase our faith and make us rejoice that such events will result in sanctifying God’s long-profaned name!—Ezekiel 39:1-29.]

The WTS says that Gog attack is the same of the KOTN attack...

[5-15-15 WT - The Bible mentions the attack by ‘Gog of Magog,’ the attack by “the king of the north,” and the attack by “the kings of the earth.” (Ezekiel 38:2, 10-13; Daniel 11:40, 44, 45; Revelation 17:14; 19:19) Are these different attacks? That is not likely. It seems that the Bible is using different names to describe the same attack.]

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I've just had an email from a sister who has been a witness her whole life, now in her 70s, and she literally said: 'it's just around the corner'

She also said the world has never been as bad as it is now.

I couldn't help myself, I had to reply. I told her it has been 'just around the corner' my entire life and I'm 65.

I also said, I'd just watched a documentary on the WW2 and the horrifically cruel Nazi experiments on people including pregnant women and babies and told her that was 70 years ago, it doesn't get any worse than that, so don't go telling me the world now is worse than it's ever been.

She didn't email back.

• sir82
    sir82

She also said the world has never been as bad as it is now.

Every time I see / hear a statement like that, I just chuckle.

There are about 20 gazillion reasons why that is just wrong. but the one that for some reason resonates with me:

Ask the JW who asserts this if they prefer modern dentistry, or would prefer to have their teeth cared for as they were in the 19th century?

Google "Victorian dental instruments", and remember that there was no novocaine in use then, if you want to have nightmares for the next week.

Did you know that it was considered a very fine and much appreciated wedding gift in Victorian times to pay for the bride-to-be to have all (100%) of her teeth pulled before the wedding?

Dental care was so horrid, and the odds of your teeth rotting and either falling out or needing emergency pulling before you were 30 was so certain, so absolutely bound to happen, that it was considered a fine gift to get all that expense out of the way at first, as a present.

Explain that to your local JW, and ask them to tell you again how the world is "worse than ever".

• Half banana
    Half banana

Thank the gods for Novocaine!

For me one of the best improvements over the last century has been the great increase in life expectancy. In the nineteenth century you could expect a life of say 18 years as a youngster and 30 or so years as an adult if you were lucky-- and didn't get consumption or some other incurable ailment. Today most people in the western world reach 65 and if you do there is also a statistical likelihood that you will reach your late seventies or eighties which is now the average age for death.

That means that we have doubled our adult life span since 1914, i.e.18+60 years. Longevity is by no means the only improvement, the quality of life has vastly altered much of it through improvements in medicine and technology. Not forgetting the dramatic drop in numbers of death by infectious diseases, child mortality rates dropping, education becoming universal, number of deaths from wars and murder also having declined and extreme poverty now speedily being eradicated worldwide.

OK its not paradise, there is a dark shadow on the horizon namely by threats from Muslim fanatics who sacrifice themselves for their Islamic theocracy and refuse to see life from a human perspective.

Overall, it has to be reckoned that the world is nevertheless a far happier and healthier and a more equitable place than in the past and JW curmudgeons have their twisted "theocratic" reasons why they refuse to recognise it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit