Need help in finding some information regarding the Adam and Eve tale.

by Tameria2001 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dagney
    Dagney

(I miss Leo.) Her topic referenced by Blondie occurred just about the time I dared to read this site. Her documentation had a profound effect on me.

I always had a problem with "the paradise" story. Did anyone else choke when you had to actually say "talking snake" out loud to someone?

I remember one discussion early on between a bible believer and another poster. I think the debate was about creation, and the believer was mocking evolution, something they knew nothing about, just spouting the WT verbiage. "How can you BELIEVE we came from nothing" sort of talk. The the poster said, "some people believe a talking snake is credible." Mike drop.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Yeah a talking snake good one! The idea of a paradise comes from the Egyptians and the Osiris cult. If you were a good person and could pass all the trials and tribulations and your heart was pure you would be resurrected back into your mummified body and move on to the “Field of Reeds” paradise! The Greeks copied the idea with their Elysian Fields. Rutherford apparently studied some Ancient Greek.

• blondie
    blondie

My husband uses this point, talking snake, to point out that Adam and Eve were supposedly perfect, directly taught by God, having information and understanding beyond what we imperfect people today cannot begin to understand. But we are smart enough to know if a snake started talking to us, we should run to the next person who has lived longer than us, and ask WTH is going on.

Definitely meant to be allegorical not literal.

Added: the great oracle and self-described expert in Greek was Fred Franz, and Rutherford deferred to his opinion on those type of topics.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

believing the talking snake myth is about the same as believing you will live forever on a paradise earth.

one thing is certain..the lie in believe.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Here is a thought to ponder .... why wasn’t Eve shocked and frighten when a serpent started to talk to her ?

Adam would have said .... “ Come on Eve animals don’t , you must have dreamt this “

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Tameria2001, What about Gen.3:3-5 where the snake (satan) tells Eve that she will not die on or in the day of her eating the fruit ,and that her eyes will be opened.?

Both of which turned out to be true , so Satan (snake) did not lie here.

In gen.3:13 Where Eve claims the serpent deceived her, is in fact a lie told by Eve, not the serpent (Satan).

Gen.3:22 Jehovah God now addresses his peers, fellow Gods when he states, " Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad" etc.etc.,that also validates what Satan the serpent told Eve that her eyes would be opened .?

So who is the liar ?

He wasn`t talking to himself he was talking to his peers in Gen.3:22 or maybe just his wife Asherah ,but that`s another subject.

• dozy
    dozy

The "Atheists book of Bible Stories" is an excellent reference. Written by an ex-JW , he dissects some of the bible accounts ( including Adam & Eve )

Free PDF download here https://app.box.com/s/uclytd91jd

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Tameria2001 are you still with us ? I`m curious as to how both you and your hubby respond to the many answers to your question about Genesis and Adam & Eve that you asked 6 days ago ?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

It's actually embarrassing that any of us actually believe in fairly tale about Adam and Eve.

God creates a naive couple, which have never been exposed to deceit, and then lets Satan, a wise a shrewd being, tempt them into eating an apple, which shockingly they end up doing.

Then once God realizes they ate the apple, instead of seeing that it's actually his fault for exposing them to Satan, he issues a death sentence to them, and to all their descendants, for eating that apple.

Then god lets this nonsense go on for 6000 years, because there is a doubt on whether humans can live well without God. Now most of these 6000 years were times of brutal pain, hunger, disease, and despair for humans, but he did nothing. And now that the quality of life is actually getting better for mankind, he is going to destroy everything to ensure he is not wrong.

Well done God, you're a real idiot.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

smiddy3, Yes I'm still here, sorry about not replying sooner. The information that everyone has given has really helped a lot. When it comes to talking to my husband about things he is not familiar with, it takes a bit longer, because he deals with ADD. Thank you very much for the information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit