New mangled words

by road to nowhere 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Prester John
    Prester John

One speaker, trying to go all Greek on us, referred to Vine's Suppository of New Testament Words.

He meant to say expository, of course.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

In the days of the hour long public talks (more than 42 years ago when I was a JW) one elder, during his talk substituted Blue Bonnet Plague (as in the name brand of a butter substitute) for Bubonic Plague (as in perhaps the worst plague in human history).

He did this no less than 3 times which suggested he knew absolutely nothing about his topic.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ax for ask drives me mad. It began in the 60s with Indian kids who genuinely had trouble saying it, then spread to other minorities like Italians and Jamaicans who didn’t. Then eventually even English kids were mispronuncing it.

cultural, generational mispronunciation! It signals to others you are with The proletariat!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Shreezeport, Louisiana -- instead of Shreveport.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I have to ask because I'm not really sure of the answer. Where does Jehover come from? A couple that was away for awhile came back with that pronunciation of Jehovah. I've heard some Brits say it, is it from there? Kind of reminds me of how Colonel is said as kernel. Used to drive me crazy in school because I kept searching for a word with an R in it.

• Olig
    Olig

I once read 'organisms' as 'orgasms' while doing a Bible reading

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

@Olig: Freudian slip?

Here is another mangled word: fathom (but people pronounce it as phantom)

Example: We as humans can't even begin to phantom Jehovah's power.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

These wouldn't be so bad if they didn't pose as the thinkingest people in the world and guardians of our spirituality. I remember reference to a one hour intercourse

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Olig we had an elderly brother in our hall growing up with a lisp. One day he was giving the public talk about creation and every time he meant organism he said orgasm.

• zeb
    zeb

intercourse orgasm? probably improved the audience attention.

A cong I visited was mentioned ' we will now have a 10 minute intercourse' not one sister moved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit