New mangled words

by road to nowhere 29 Replies latest jw friends

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Of course there is that famous example at an Assembly a few years back were a bro giving a talk kept saying over and over and over...

Testicals

instead of

Tentacles

If I had been him - i would have joined the French Foreign Legion after that.

• zeb
    zeb

Sir 82. re permeate. It is weird that over the years a word gets the official 'approval' and everyone then uses it to death.

The term 'hyperbole' was one. again, all these blunders are a direct result of education denied and people who read nothing but wt material.

• sir82
    sir82

It is weird that over the years a word gets the official 'approval' and everyone then uses it to death.

LOL - that makes me think of another one.

When the new "Jeremiah" book was studied a few years back, there was a chapter on Jeremiah's secretary, Baruch.

The correct pronunciation of course is BAR-uck.

We had a guy, elder, the "I am so gifted, so spiritual, look at how awesome I am" type. He got it into his head that the correct pronunciation was Ba-ROOK.

He was the paragraph reader that night. So all night long it was Ba-ROOK, Ba-ROOK, Ba-ROOK....

And of course, the dilemma for the rest of the congregation: "In my comment, do I pronounce it the correct way, and thus demonstrate what a dimbulb Elder Blowhard is, or do I mispronounce it the way he did, and thus not 'show him up'?"

Well, you can guess what happened.

Every comment: "Ba-ROOK did this, and then Ba-ROOK did that...".

• Room 215
    Room 215

, Every comment: "Ba-ROOK did this, and then Ba-ROOK did that...".

Well, I might be inclined to give the guy a pass; maybe he did it to avoid confusion with "Barak"

More commonly, one hears "irregardless" in stead of "regardless" or "irrespective".

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS and its so-called appointed leaders tend to worry more about pronunciation :) than the real problems, gnat versus camel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

There was one guy I remember way back when who'd always pepper his talks with the word "youse".

And he wasn't even Italian-American.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

1. Accessory mispronounced as ass-ess-or-y

correct way to say ak-sess-or-y

2. Antarctic mispronounced ant-ar-tic

correct way to say is Ant-arc-tic

3. Cache mispronounced as kashay

correct way to say is kash

just some common mistakes

Zing

• Simon
  • I quit!
    I quit!

I remember one elder who whenever he was speaking of an Egyptian Pharaoh would pronounce Pharaoh as PharEoh. I've never heard anyone else pronounce it like that. And he was one of the anointed. So much for being anointed.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Believe it or not I had a professor who consistently used the word jest for gist.

I spoke to him about it but it made no difference. Dr. Moroziok was a weird guy with a Phd who became head of the religion department at Concordia University. Do you get the jest of it,?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit