My meeting yesterday

by stephanie61092 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

So I just wanted to jot down some thoughts and feelings about my meeting yesterday...

First, the WT, paragraph 16. I couldn't help but laugh to myself at the blatant hypocrisy. It says:

God’s Word admonishes us “to live with soundness of mind ... amid this present system of things.” (Titus 2:12) Having “soundness of mind,” or being sober-minded, should certainly come into play when the explanation of a diagnostic method or therapy seems strange or mysterious. Can the practitioner or the one promoting it explain satisfactorily how it works? Is it in accord with known facts, and do numerous qualified people view it as credible? (Proverbs 22:29) Or is the main appeal to the emotions? Perhaps the claim is that it was discovered or used in a distant or remote place, as if hidden from modern research. Does such a claim prove anything or even seem reasonable? Some diagnostic devices or forms of treatment are described as using a ‘secret substance’ or ‘body force.’ That warrants serious caution because God warned against “the use of magical power” and spirit mediums.

I couldn't help but find it so ironic that they preach this message when it comes to physical health, but when it comes to spiritual health, their message is exactly the opposite. When JW's come to the door, the message may seem 'too good to be true.' Are JW's in accord with "known facts and do numerous qualified people people view them as credible?" Hardly. Is "main appeal" of JW doctrine "to the emotions"? Yes, absolutely. Go to any convention and see if they don't throw videos around to pull at the heart strings. "Perhaps the claim is that it was discovered"? Sounds like 'new light.'

I still cannot get over the double standards these people have in play. If anyone applied these principles to their spiritual health while in the JW faith, they would be disfellowshipped for apostasy. It makes me sick.

On another note, I got counseled by one of my elders because I was eating tictacs too loudly during the meeting and coughing too much. I went to the meeting sick because "I wanted to be there." My elder told me next time I needed to sit in the back room as to not disturb others. I said I had never sat in the back room ever and if I did now as a DFed person trying to come back, how would they be able to tell that I was paying attention and that I was studied? I was told that they wouldn't be able to tell so I might as well just stay home.

Ughhhhh! I'm so close to being done forever. But I'm continuing it hold out because my family has been communicating with me since they can "really tell I'm making an effort to return to Jehovah, and as long as I'm doing that they can keep some social communication with me."

• John Free
    John Free

Great post-double standards, funny how we can see them so easily now isn't it. One of my last meetings there was an old-timer being interviewed, when she first found the troof her catholic parents threatened to disown her( bros in audience were visably disgusted in the Catholics, the interviewer said 'don't get me started on the Catholics') people were shaking there heads in shock- her parents didn't even follow through! They just can't see the hypocrisy.

Hope things work out for you, seems like you're playing a good game. Glad your family are relenting on their emotional blackmail. I'm guessing you're planning a fade after reinstatement?

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail
    stephanie-good points, never thought of the credibility of health cures and credibility of what JW's teach as being comparable, but they definitely are. Thanks for the thoughtful post.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great observation!

What article was this??

I need to save that article! It will come in very handy!

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

'...eating tictacs too loudly during the meeting and coughing too much...'

It is so disturbing to hear how much those dear elders must endure. Chomping on tic tacs and coughing. Thank God there are men who have the courage to stand up to such behavior.

• millie210
    millie210

How dare you cough and eat a tic tac?????

Oh my!

Perhaps I am tired but this made me laugh.

hang in there Stephanie,,,the crazy is them, not you! :heart:

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    I would make it a habit at every meeting you attend, to chomp tic tacs and cough. Do it louder and louder at each meeting. Make sure you sit behind the little ass$@&: that said that to you. I love to rock the boat a little...it's fun!
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Paragraph 18 Says -- We cannot expect now to be cured miraculously. However, Revelation 22:1, 2 points to the time when we will be healed completely. The apostle John saw in vision “a river of water of life” and “trees of life” with leaves “for the healing of the nations.” This does not refer to any herbal remedy now or in the future. Rather, it points to Jehovah’s provision through Jesus for giving everlasting life to obedient mankind—truly something we can look forward to.

But they forgot the Asterisk pointing to the footnote: * should read - User Soundness of Mind when reading the Bible or anything from the WatchTower.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Hmm - I donts trust dem darned X-Rays - dems could be from satan - hows indavisable rays see in side mines old body? Dat goes double for dem MReyes. Magnets, I'sa barley trust my trusty compass. And how bout all dem pill does so called doctors givven us. Day dont even know hows they work. Bet they pray to dat beee-L-zu-bub guy.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''It is so disturbing to hear how much those dear elders must endure. Chomping on tic tacs and coughing. Thank God there are men who have the courage to stand up to such behavior''

LOL!! One time about 14 years ago, there was the Watchtower conductor doing the WT on stage. I mistakenly dropped my pen to the floor and I lightly shook my head.

When the meeting ended the WT study conductor took me aside and asked me why I was shaking my head during the meeting. I was flabbergasted and didn't know what he was talking about and didn't know what to tell him.

Well, LOL, that was about my reaction!!!! They can be pretty anal at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit