Prophecy question as hysteria sets in

by Isambard Crater 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's simply wishful thinking, every notable world event or change results in people speculating that the end is at hand, it happened many times throughout the thirty years I was in the religion. I think people are just sick of the endless requirements of JW life and want to believe it will soon end, even if that comes at the cost of billions of lives.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its a shame that so many people are taken in by the corruption and lies of the WTS but that's how it built its publishing empire for over the past 130+ years, pandering and exploiting humanity's troubles and saying see this was all prophesied in the bible, we need to adhere closely to the WTS so we'll be saved from Armageddon's destruction .

• Ding
    Ding

Now they don't even have to set a date in order to stoke up apocalyptic fervor.

When nothing comes of it, they'll be able to say:

1. We never said this was it.

2. Your service to Jehovah shouldn't be tied to a date.

3. The end is even closer now than it was before.

4. Work even harder; he who endures to the end will be saved.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Prophecy question as hysteria sets in

Is there any other reason for prophecy to exist?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Consider the source, Daniel is the same bible book that tells the whopper of a story of 4 boys thrown into a furnace and come out later unscathed, caged lions that refuses to eat Daniel but eat other men, hand writing on the wall, and a mighty king that eats grass and crawls around in the countryside like a wildebeest for 7 years.

just saying!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

same shit..different day.

heard it all before--still got the tee shirt.

• careful
    careful

Fred Frantone:

Was the book of Daniel pretending to be written in the 6th century BC or was it simply about the 6th century BC? There's an important distinction to be made. If I were to write a book about a fictional prophet in the 17th century who predicted events in our day, I wouldn't necessarily need to pretend that the book itself was written back then as well.

Precisely. The fact that the org has just kept up the old rabbinic and then Protestant conservative view than Daniel had to have been written during the time of its action has little to do with reality. One might as well say that the gospels were all written immediately after the last thing they relate, the resurrection of Jesus. There is quite frequently a gap between a work's dramatic date and its date of authorship.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

It's imminent the GB say. But how does this work with the 'coming as a thief in the night' and 'concerning the day or the hour no one knows, not even the angels or the son himself'?

It's been imminent my whole life and I'm mid 60s now.

I've heard people say 'we can practically hear Jesus sharpening his sword.'

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

Returning to my OP, though, let's just imagine for a moment that we are living in the last of the Last Days, the KOTN has been established as Russia, the KOTS is undoubtedly U.K+U.S. in our minds, and Russia's recent moves are noteworthy.

There's still a glaring problem, if my understanding is correct.

I always thought J.W's taught that Jehovah would put it into the governments' minds to attack ALL religion, with the J.W's refusing to give up, hence getting attacked, provoking Jehovah's wrath.

All this talk of Russian opposition signalling the end is nigh is an attack on the J.W's FIRST, which is the other way round to what they've always taught.

Like one of your replies said, it's just wishful thinking, clutching at straws, I guess.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

JW's suddenly and mysteriously went silent about the Kings of the north and south prophesy when the Soviet Union dissolved back in 1991. It was as if they were embarrassed that they ever said anything about it...didn't want to talk about it even though the end was "Just around the corner" back then as well.

27 years later they conveniently bring it up again when it suits them even though the original prophesy was that there would be conflict between the two kings themselves rather than between one of the Kings and a group of his subjects.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit