Do Jehovah’s Witnesses “Witness” Any More?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I believe the almighty preaching work that was the centerpiece of the Watchtower cult has been in steady decline for years, but that the response to COVID-19 is the death knell. I grew up as a Witness through the 80s and 90s. I left in the 2000s when I was in my 30s and was completely out in 2010. I remember during the time that I was PIMI the door-to-door ministry was the central practice of being a Witness. Go to the 5 weekly meetings and, at a minimum, spend 4 hours knocking on doors on Saturday. To do otherwise was heresy.

Then the Governing Body decided to be the Popes of Warwick. Witnesses were ordered to stop doing research. The Watchtower will tell them what they need to know. That created a problem. How do you competently carry out the door-to-door ministry while being ignorant of the Bible and your own dogmas? Easy - enter JW.Org and the Youtube-esque Witnessing work.

Like the old colporteurs of the Russell days, Witnesses exchanged the portable phonograph for the iPad and the Studies in the Scriptures for the simplified issues of the Watchtower. Door-to-door Witnessing became robotic. Even trained chimpanzees could carry out the work. There was no more preaching and teaching. It's all an advertisement for a website.

Then COVID-19 hit. I never thought I would see the day when the Governing Body would tell their organization to stop participating in the public ministry. I could see them saying don't go door-to-door. The in-person, face-to-face ministry was the central practice of being a Witness. Only those with extreme physical restrictions were told to do phone Witnessing or letter writing.

How many times were we guilted and shamed with stories of Witnesses in the former Soviet Union who risked their very lives to informally Witness to a co-worker, someone on public transportation, or on the street corner? Yes, actually risk public execution for such a thing. Now, it's stay home and tune in to JW.Org because of a virus that you may or may not get and if you do it probably won't kill you unless you already have an underlying illness or you're old.

The Governing Body may tell Witnesses that it's alright to go back to carrying on in the public ministry sometime next year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a significant number of Witnesses claim they would be unnecessarily risking their lives to do so. I see the fear or perceived fear of communicable disease being the new crutch Witnesses use to excuse themselves from attending meetings and field service.

Witnesses are obsessed with being text book doctors and holistic healing. The love self-diagnosing themselves with diseases both real and make believe. They are huge supporters of faux-medicine such as essential oils and other "natural remedies".

I think the future of being a Jehovah's Witness is sitting on the living room couch with a mask on while watching JW.Org saying "I'm a Witness," like Ralph from The Simpsons.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Truth-be-known, I think you have a view into the future. This will be the end of the preaching work and more and likely the Org will become an online cult. This I forsee as well. Watch their numbers drop some more.

• LetTheTruthBeKnown
    LetTheTruthBeKnown

Without the preaching work, the JW's have no reason to exist. Just a matter of time before the mid-week meeting is cancelled as it is mostly on how to preach. Kinda redundant now.

I have also been informed by an elder that they were told that we will not be going back to the Kingdom Hall until sometime in 2022. Two plus years of no social interaction with other JW's might actually spell the doom for the religion.

• minimus
    minimus

The Governing Body cares soooo much . They don’t want to see a single JW die unnecessarily.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think serious "witnessing" has been in a steady decline for decades. I remember the COW (Circuit Overseer's Wife) that LOVED to knock on the door of the parsonage (Preacher's Residence)! She loved to "witness" to them. She was convinced JW's were right, everyone else was wrong, and she was happy to set their asses straight! That kind or attitude is LONG GONE.

Now, JW's skip over the preacher's house. They skip over the houses of anyone who was "argumentative" on an earlier call, ie, anyone who could legitimately question their JW doctrines. Nope. Those folks did not have the right heart attitude. No more pearls before swine. (Because the average JW could get stumbled by someone who really knows the Bible.)

For years before COVID, it was just ride around in the car or sit in the coffee shop and count your time. Then it was stand idly by the Literature Carts and stick your tail between your legs if anyone dared challenge you with a question. Now, since COVID, it's sit at home on Zoom and chat with other old JW's across town. YAWN!

I suspect Joe Hoover is going to have to make the "rocks cry out".

• minimus
    minimus

Doc as usual good post.

• alanv
    alanv

They are not interested any more to defend their faith. That is why there is no Theocratic Ministry school any more. They only want to speak to those that will listen and not ask any deep questions. Its all about finding vulberable people now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If you question any of their beliefs or ask a question that`s embarrassing to them ,they will say they don`t debate with anyone ,go look up JW.ORG with your question.

The JW`s of old are long gone.They are on the road to being an obscure small sect of no consequence .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    pistolpeteI agree they won`t disappear in the short term ,however they will be a pittance to what they are now.
  • awake!watcher
    awake!watcher

At this point they are buying food that would normally be bought by restaurants and handing it out to the elderly (my parents). I'm guessing that since they don't preach, this is how they are keeping their 501c3 status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit