Thoughts on Leah Remini JW A&E special ...

by _Morpheus 138 Replies latest members private

• Simon
    Simon
    You are displaying "blame the victim" mentality. The world is not as black and white as you are presenting it.

How exactly is that "blame the victim"? Isn't the victim the person being shunned? If the shunners are the victims and the WTS is responsible for the shunning then ... you end up effectively arguing that the WTS is the victim?

Let's try another attempt at explaining why I think this approach is better ...

Suppose a JW has watched the programme. They search the internet about it and end up reading some discussion by exJWs.

Is it better if they read the message:

"Shunning your children is cruel and you are hurting them if you do it"

or

"We think your religious beliefs are wrong"

I think the latter is much easier to dismiss and ignore. To win that battle you have to convince them that their entire belief system is incorrect. That's a tough sell and less likely to be successful than starting with something that is hard to argue with - what I'm arguing, that we blame them for what they chose to do for being cruel.

Ironically, waking up their humanity is what ultimately has a better chance of convincing them that their belief system was wrong.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The one doing the shunning is a victim/ hostage of the cult. As well as the one being shunned.

• Simon
    Simon
    The one doing the shunning is a victim/ hostage of the cult. As well as the one being shunned.

And if the one doing the shunning tells others they should shun ... are they both victim and criminal? Jailer and jailed? If the GB have shunned people, are they now the victims too?

How about "the person guilty of shunning is the person doing the shunning". Seems pretty simply and devoid of paradoxes.

• arwen
    arwen

They do kidnap people. My two sons were kidnapped by their JW father at ages 4 and 10 and taken to another province and hidden for six months it was all arranged with the congregations here and where he took them. I did get them back through the courts but they are forever damaged by what he did. So am I. 😥

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    But the family that was moving round the country 3 times per year that had 2 suicides. It's really tragic, but I don't think it's exactly typical of most JWs experience

True, i had the same thoughts. To be fair to the producers, i'm sure they wanted to present impactful stories, and these are some of the most extreme you will find within the JW universe.

I was glued to the screen, thought they did a nice job. Perhaps you can say there was a few exaggerations along the way.

One thing i was wondering was if there are rumors within the JW bubble about this program. I think there almost certainly is, and the hope here is that a good chunk of JWs -- thinking this seems mainstream enough -- will decide to watch.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    If your mother is shunning you, don't tell people that she's controlled by the WTS. Tell them the truth - she's a bad parent who choses to put a religious affiliation she hasn't bothered to research properly ahead of her relationship with her child

That's not really true. People do bad thing with good intentions. if someone is able to be convinced that shunning a son or daughter is the best way to get them saved, then the only thing that makes sense is for them to shun you.

How they can be convinced of this is a different question, but I've come to the conclusion after many discussions with JWs and my own family, that some JWs are simply not bright enough, or not wired in a way to always look at this from a critical perspective.

• undercover
    undercover
    But people make life decisions based on a whole raft of influences - TV shows, celebrities, books, all manner of things. Do we blame them for people's choices or just acknowledge them as influences?

Non sequitur. The influence of a high control group such as the JWs is more complicated than the influence of a TV show or a book. I don't think it needs to be explained to you, who escaped their clutches, how it works.

I disagree that it's control and I think we give our families an easy "out" if we hand them the "you're controlled" excuse because we want to blame the WTS. The WTS is a corporation, it can't shun us and even if it could, would that hurt us? The only people who can shun us are people we know and they make the choice to do it. We need to lay that choice at their door.

I agree that the corporation/religion can't shun us. But I disagree on the 'control' factor. I see your point, and in a non cult situation, like a self help book, yea, I agree. The way I see it in this situation is that if people give the religion's leaders authority over them, then they allow them to control them in various aspects of their lives. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess. But it's all cool.

It's not sensible and it's not wise but we can't legislate against stupid. But what I think we can do is educate people and hold people personally accountable for their actions.
    If your mother is shunning you, don't tell people that she's controlled by the WTS. Tell them the truth - she's a bad parent who choses to put a religious affiliation she hasn't bothered to research properly ahead of her relationship with her child.

I have no issue with personal accountability. At the end of the day, despite the outside influence, one is responsible for their actions. And educating them is fine, but it's not always enough. That's because they've allowed the religion to control (oooh, there's that word again, lol) their thoughts and actions. It's a hard slog. We know that. We know that the true personality has been squashed by the 'new personality' that they have acquired through their association with this religion. The real person is still in there, it would be nice to reach that person, and help them escape.

My mother does shun me, as a matter of fact. I've told friends that her religion forbids her from associating with ex-members (and hell, I'm not even DFd), and she has chosen to put them first place in her life, cutting me off, since I no longer hold to the tenants of the religion. I acknowledge that it's her decision, but I know how she came to the choice, because I know how the WTS operates.

And this is the most I've posted in forever, lol. Good to see a few names I recognize. Hope all is well for you and your family, Simon. We may not agree on the 'control' factor, but it's good to see you're still here.

• Simon
    Simon
    but I've come to the conclusion after many discussions with JWs and my own family, that some JWs are simply not bright enough, or not wired in a way to always look at this from a critical perspective.

All the more reason not to try to get into theological arguments where they will feel lost, threatened and cling to their beliefs.

Better to appeal to their humanity and tell them that they are not actually being loving in any way, even though they may have a misguided sense that they are, they are only hurting people including themselves and they really shouldn't and don't need to.

Again, I think giving people the excuse that they somehow "have to" is giving them an easy way to rationalize that they should keep doing it which benefits no-one but the WTS.

Isn't it a clue that the WTS teaches that they should do this? Why wouldn't our message be that they don't have to - why would we just reinforce the WTS message?

• Simon
    Simon
    And this is the most I've posted in forever, lol. Good to see a few names I recognize. Hope all is well for you and your family, Simon. We may not agree on the 'control' factor, but it's good to see you're still here.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments and thoughtful response.

Yes, I'm still impacted by the influence the WTS has over my family. Shortly after my fathers funeral earlier this year I attended my brothers wedding where my mother, who hasn't spoken to me for 10+ years, still couldn't bring herself to say hello.

Motherly Love, that "Unbreakable Bond"

I know what it's like. I have lived it. I also know that any amount of ranting against the WTS isn't going to convince her to change. I don't think she should get to absolve herself of guilt for what she does by claiming she 'has to' because the WTS controls her life and I don't want to help her to do that either.

• undercover
    undercover

Condolences on the loss of your father, Simon. I did not see that post until now.

Your mother and my mother are two of a kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit