Legal Concerns About "Zoom" Meetings!

by Atlantis 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Maybe it's just me, but?

This whole "Zoom" thing has got me wondering whether some of it is legal or not. If a person has to dress up for a Zoom meeting the way the Watchtower dictates, doesn't this really go "beyond" cult?

Even the cults who committed mass suicide were able to dress the way they wanted for their meetings. When will the Watchtower command JW's to drink the poison cool-aid?

And if an elder takes down notes because a JW wears jeans in his own home for a Zoom meeting, doesn't this border-line on breaking the Data Protection Laws?

What's the difference of taking down information about people on a house-to-house record, and taking down notes about people in their own homes?

I guess there could be some differences in the laws concerning that, but there are just some things about this whole Zoom thing that raises questions in my mind.

It would seem that personal rights and freedoms, are being violated because the JW is under obligations that just don't seem legal.

It just seems that while Zoom Meetings are going on, the Watchtower wants full control of the JW's home and then wants them to continue with contributions when everyone is out of work.

Petra!
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

doesn't this really go "beyond" cult?

Since when did the JWS not get identified as a cult ?

It is a high controlling religoius cult and has been for many decades

JWs are the Watchtower's own public sales representatives so dress and appearance was always a pressing out ward concern.

• Simon
    Simon

JWs are not a cult as most reasonable people interpret the word. Ex-JWs who shout "cult" too much undermine valid criticisms that they could be making.

They are a conservative christian sect. They have some high-control practices. But they are not a cult.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I’m with you! Nothing screams CULT louder than requiring adherents to place cameras in their homes so the leaders can see what they’re wearing and make sure they’re paying attention.

Just allowing unknown people a view into your home through access to a video feed seems extremely risky. Who, exactly, is watching you and noticing that you seem vulnerable and have stuff that might be worth taking? Especially since few JWs are equipped to defend themselves or their homes.

I think the main reason the Society is so intent on continuing the meetings by whichever means is so they can keep up the encouragement pressure to send those contributions in. “Why, we even have the loving provision from Jehovah of setting up regular donations right from your bank account or credit card.”

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

High controlling segregating religious organizations are subjectively working cults by definition, its just that they all have a specific variance of that control.

One could identify if an organization is a highly controlling cult by these ways of operation.

1. Opposing critical thinking

2. Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving

3. Emphasizing special doctrines outside scripture

4. Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders

5. Dishonoring the family unit

6. Crossing Biblical boundaries of behavior (versus sexual purity and personal ownership)

7. Separation from the Church

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Behavior Control: An individual’s associations, living arrangements, food, clothing, sleeping habits, finances, etc., are strictly controlled.

Information Control: Cult leaders deliberately withhold or distort information, lie, propagandize, and limit access to other sources of information.

Thought Control: Cult leaders use loaded words and language, discourage critical thinking, bar any speech critical of cult leaders or policies, and teach an “us vs. them” doctrine.

Emotional Control: Leaders manipulate their followers via fear (including the fear of losing salvation, fear of shunning, etc.), guilt, and indoctrination

Yes technically a sect but uses the same physiological manipulation and coercive control as a cult

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It doesn't really make legal difference to how a religious order enforces dress to its following adherent active members whether its on camera or live.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Well said Fadeaway 1962

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I also wonder if they will start disfellowshiping people online at these Zoom meetings also. Will a persons name be broadcast online that they are no longer a JW?

Will that information go out to people who have no right to know?

I just think that this "Zoom" thing is going to shoot the Tower in the foot. JW's will get sick and tired of having to dress up in their own homes.

And what will the Tower expect next?

Petra!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

If they show up willingly and voluntarily, they can't complain. And everyone's surprise about them dressing up at home is ridiculous. Most probably want their video on to see their friends. They see it as part of respectful worship. I think they're absolutely a cult, as do many others, but that doesn't mean everything they do is culty. The faux outrage seems like a giant reach to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit