PIMO elder

by Reservations 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Reservations
    Reservations

Hi

I’m Reservations, PIMO elder. I’m in no position to leave the organisation, maybe some people will see that as weak or whatever, but we have to all go down our own path in life.

I would like to be able to wake people up in my congregation, how do you think best to do this? Any ideas?

Reservations

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

The same way that everyone else does. You set the example with actions always...sometimes add words too..

The Truth Will Set You Free

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Been there, done that. The problem for you will always be you are not ready to leave, therefore you will only be willing to go so far in attempting to wake people up. You can only ask so many questions so close to the apostate line without drawing attention to yourself that would put your standing in jeopardy.

In the end you are likely to find, as i did, thats in an untenable position. The emotional cost is enormous, living that double life, and degrading as a man.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hi Reservations,

This is just my opinion, but as an elder, you won't be able to help anyone to wake up. In my experience, people wake up when they are ready to, often for personal reasons rather than anything doctrinal or organizational.

I think what is more likely is that, as an elder trying to wake people up, you will be outed in some way and end up out of the organization - the very thing you were wanting to avoid. The WT has built in just too many layers of mind control. Someone will see that your thinking is out of line with the WT and will expose you.

For peace of mind (and again, my opinion) your best bet would be to resign as an elder, get off the school, and stop commenting at the meetings. And give them no reason whatsoever. NONE. This will catch people's attention. Will it wake them up? In my experience, only when they themselves are ready. But you will have the peace of mind knowing that you are no longer supporting something you no longer believe in.

If you give your real reason for stopping everything that I just mentioned above, that in itself may become their reason to put you out. The mind control is just that pervasive. But you may get some satisfaction in withholding your reasons, just like the WT withholds information from the R&F. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Well, that's my opinion.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I had to think about this before answering. I have to agree the previous commenters - the only way to pull this off is to do so by being and example. You cannot do this as an elder.

If you are not in a position to leave the organization at this time it is understandable. However, for your own well being I would recommend pulling back as far as you can. For example:

• Step down as an elder.
    • Stop giving any talks.
    • Stop commenting at the meetings.
    • Report the minimum amount of time possible.
    • Live your life as you want without getting disfellowshipped or reproved.
    • Be happy.
    • Be happy.
    • Be happy.

When you are doing only the absolute bare minimum the organization requires while simultaneously demonstrating your happiness those in the congregation will begin to question what is going on. People will notice your happiness and they too will want to experience what you have.

This is where it will get tricky. People will approach you and ask you why you are happy. You cannot bring up anything in regards to what you have stopped doing for the organization. You cannot bring up any thoughts or beliefs on the religion or the organization. Say nothing that can be used against you.

I would consider saying something like - "I am happy because I am content with serving Jehovah and being part of his organization. I really cannot put into words why I am so happy. I guess it can only be experienced and not explained." Then give a big, genuine smile. People will not be listening to what you say at this point. They will only be seeing how happy you are.

This is where those in your congregation will fall into one of two categories - There will be those who judge you as spiritually weak and break ties with you. There will be those who see your happiness, connect the dots, and become PIMO like you or may even go full POMO.

There is a brother I know growing up. He was an elder. I was friends with his sons, all of whom became Ministerial Servants. One day this elder had enough of being "used". Because he was friendly and kind he was constantly being called up all hours of the day and night by members of the congregation who felt the need to confess or ask for help.

This elder stepped down and was pretty much done. His sons did the same. These days they will attend most meetings, assemblies, and conventions, but that is it. They all spend their time being involved in what they want to do. They aren't doing anything that would be grounds for disfellowshipping. If you asked them "Is this the Truth?" they would all look you in the eye and answer "yes," but they sure don't live like Armageddon could be tomorrow.

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hi Reservation,

Is it possible ?

I'm PIMO too ( not elder ) ... since 3 or 4 years I did not preaching any more.

When my children have a "bible study" ... I talk with them and explain why JW / WT are cult ,

I say they could believe in God ... but the bible is not what the WT tell us.

I think my wife ( who is jw pimi ) doesn't know that I talk to my children after each "Bible Study" ...

I think my children will never become JW ... for me a little victory ...

But, my wife .. it's not possible !

She knows there are problems in the WT : pedophiles, money, manipulation .. but she always says "Jehovah will clean congregation at time" ...

Despite the fact she was a victim too !!! and despites the facts that the pedophile said to elder some years ago

she ask to elders if there where something in the congregation files ... Elder said "we have nothing" ...

All that explanation to tell you , if JW doesn't want to listen to you , you can't change them .. I think the best you can do , is to observe , and maybe if you know some jw who was questioning about jw / WT problem to show where to find more information.

You cannot tell all what you think ...

If You do , you will be shunned ... look Rolf Furuli or Raymond Franz ...

inside you can help some PIMI , outside you help PIMO ... the important it's finally you ... if you are better inside ( as me for personnal reason ) stay inside ... if you can quit ... I think the best is "quit" :)

But not sure you can really help JW if they won't without be shunned yourself one day or another :(

Best regards

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Well, here is an evil approach and it really depends on your conscience, but I found that a lot of Elders don't really teach everything the watchtower says (they simply avoid some topics) or don't fully commit to enforcing the WT rules. These elders are generally highly valued by their congregations as most JWs don't really believe everything. You could put off a lot of people by really doing that.

I had some fun with this before I left the "truth" by making comments; some caused the elders to approach me after the meeting and ask me questions about what I said and I would show them the articles where this or that was actually thought and still valid.

For instance, if there is a watchtower talk about pedophiles, you can say something like: "You don't have to go to the police if you don't want to. That's your right. But it is also your right to report it to the police. It is for the parents to choose to make that decision."

Saying something like that will surely shock people in the congregation, but is not debatable once you read the watchtower articles.

Its hard to do this as we've been raised/thought to protect the society, but after you do it once, you'll find strange satisfaction in doing it.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The Watchtower Corporation was founded and built up upon apostasy (false prophecy) and teachings by corrupt opportunistic religious charlatans (1919) who were obviously not chosen by god unless god is a prolific liar.

There is another spirit who is known for lying and deceiving though.

Take it from there, but expect to be pointed out sooner or later when you say certain things to other devote JWS followers.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

welcome, Rezzy.

A PIMO elder? Best of luck with that one. It was absolute living hell for me.

In the end I simply left. My wife left me and married another Jobo. With the family broken up, some of my kids went off the rails quite badly. The ex-missus could then blame me for it. Stupid jobo b@@ch!

The Watchtower is hell to live in. I think you must be mentally strong not to go mental.

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

Hi @Reservations, I'd also say to continue as much as you can and as @StephaneLaliberte pointed, you may use that status to help others, spread seeds of the truth, demonstrate genuine love, become the elder that everyone feels safe/approachable/friendly. Unlike PIMI elders, PIMO elders have nothing to lose, no strings attached ... which adds value, quality, power. Your talks and counsel can be far more refreshing, reaching hearts than PIMIs.

However, PIMI elders in your BoE will probably not like what you will become. The need to serve, worship the organization is strong with them. So, they or "reaching out ones" will look for your weak points (monthly report for ex.), so be very careful especially when you are giving comments, public talks or counseling, "for a bird of the air may carry your words, and a winged creature may report your speech." (Ecclesiastes 10:20).

In brief, keeping your post as an elder might be beneficial to you and the ones you may save in the long run.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit