"You will never grow old in this present system of things" -- some campaign tools

by FatFreek 2005 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I have know my ex brother in law now for about 50 years. From day one he would say, "Oh this system of things can't last another year". I have not spoken to him for a number of years but I would put money on it he is still saying the same thing. The last time I seen him at a Mcdonald's studying for the Thursday night meeting. I was shocked when he said to me, "I know the WT made mistakes but it would be so good to see you back in".

Both my parents bought into the 1975 dream and we as a family were to walk together hand in hand into that paradise earth and live forever. I bought into it as I was young and impressionable. I remember as 1975 came closer and thinking to myself, what if this is all a bunch of BS and I just wasted my time with this garbage? So the doubt started then. After 1975 that was the last straw but then it took a number of years to do a slow faze. MY parents went to their graves as faithful dubs to the end. I never really spoke to them about how we weren't supposed to age and die like this but I could tell their spirit inside was broken. They did except their mortality in the last few years of their lives but it was not supposed to end like this. So many stories I have read on here are very similar to mine, so it is not just something I made up in my mind. We were mislead by this organization and never even got an apology from them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sadly some people got so emotionally distraught with this fear mongering (1975) that the world was going to come to an abrupt end, they killed themselves.

I knew two locally, built up anxiety and stress I guess.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The Watchtower got it entirely wrong. Millions held on to their every word and gave their whole lives to "The Society" expecting paradise.

The governing body should humbly and profusely apologise as Christians, dismantle the fraudulent organisation and then pack their bags forever.

But then narcissists are only interested in their own welfare...

• jws
    jws

It was 1920 that they published "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Next time I see a JW, I'd like to ask them about that. And ask if they'd double-down on that now.

OK, you're waiting on Jesus. But if we're really in the last days as they've been preaching, then they could safely repeat that claim as of now, right? And if you can't then don't go around telling people we're in the last days. (Or as I heard at a convention within the last 5 years, we're in the last seconds of the last day).

And if you do grow old, LEAVE!!!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    It was 1920 that they published "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Next time I see a JW, I'd like to ask them about that. And ask if they'd double-down on that now.

Just like the 1975 fiasco is being rewritten for the new ones coming in today, so was the "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" was rewritten for us growing up in the 70's.

• Tenacious
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It was 1920 that they published "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Next time I see a JW, I'd like to ask them about that. And ask if they'd double-down on that now. ~ jws

NONE of the JWs that I know are "doubling down" on the impending End of The System. Rather, they are all contributing to their IRAs, 401(k)s and pension plans, and building new homes, the young are marrying and having children. No one is "simplifying" to pioneer.

Instead of "doubling down", they are all just "keeping one foot in the door" JUST IN CASE it might by chance come "tomorrow" or any day now or soon, etc. But they really doubt that. They prove they doubt by their lifestyle............DOC

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

An elder recently told me the name of the booklet was "Millions Now Living May Never Die." I think that is what he was told when he went to elder's school. It is just so sad how stupid and gullible witlesses are. All they have to do is google the title. I am sure they would say that an apostate changed the title and that it is a fake.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The question isn't whether the leadership said it, but that if the leadership did say it, can it be reconciled with its claims to divine inspiration? I'm a bit unsure as to how the leadership's claim to divine leadership was established anyway, but given that it was established, how do JWs reconcile what was clearly false prophecy with the leadership's authority?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

"Millions Now Living May Never Die" was indeed a valid title of a series of lectures that began in the late teens. I think Rutherford gave some of them along with others. I'm a bit fuzzy with all of this because it's been several years since I researched it but the title of the booklet was apparently decided after the lectures got their start. So the "May Never" morphed into "Will Never" undoubtedly as Rutherford's bravado got the better of him.

Yes, I can understand that elder trainers would naturally latch onto the less incriminating term but they can't escape the facts of the booklet's actual title. Plus, the Watchtower Library CD is full of quotations that include BOTH expressions I don't know why he'd even try.

"THE year is 1923. The concert hall at the Drama and Music Conservatory of São Paulo is packed! ... As a grand finale, a hundred copies of the booklet Millions Now Living Will Never Die! are distributed, along with some in English, German, and Italian." w2014 5/15 p. 31

"History shows that the public exposure of these facts actually began before 1922. For example, the lecture “Millions Now Living May Never Die,” first delivered in 1918 and published in booklet form in 1920, told of Christendom’s failure and of the approaching end of this world." *** w1990 4/1 p. 31

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit