Did I imagine a brief thaw in the Watchtower injunction against going to university?

by slimboyfat 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

SBF;

No, you didn't imagine a thing. The Borg has never been more against Education than ever. The Borg has now even looked down on things like ''apprenticeship programs'' and 'trade programs''.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No your not going to get DFed for attending College, most of time the elders will look at these people as not being suitable for advancing within their congregations as elders, not having strong spiritual strength in other words

Well until the person stops going to College that is.

This organization has demeaned education for such a long now it has influenced the held to position within the organization that elders do not want highly educated people around themselves.

If your sincerely stupid and brainwashed according to the WTS, indoctrination process, that's more appealing than being highly educated, you might even be perceived as a stumbling individual within the congregation..

• Fencing
    Fencing

There was definitely a brief "thaw" in the anti-college stance. I, unfortunately, was right on the cusp of the generation that grew up with all the demonizing of college and the softening didn't start until I was already exiting high school. So even though it was suddenly "allowed", I had no money for it, no college prep work behind me, and didn't have the right mindset to go to college since it had always been out of the question for most of my life.

The generation after me, who graduated in the late 90s/early 00s, had more time to prepare and I know of quite a few who went to college, including the kids of elders, and it wasn't even questioned. Of course, that all changed again several years ago.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The prime reason why the Borg has pissed-on higher Education for so long because they want the rank and file to only believe what they are told from the WBTS. Other words that is pretty much gospel from the GB!!
  • blondie
    blondie
    Perhaps that why women are going to college in the congregations...nothing to lose really. So jws that want to go to college, want to be MS and elders. I know an man studying to be a jw held off his baptism until he got his degree. Then he was hired as an associate professor, then tenured. He just retired and is "regular" pioneering. Now some poor schnuck quit college to get baptized and is driving a garbage truck (not bad pay really). He has yet to break the elder wall. The GB can talk and talk but jws find ways around it.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Strictly an opinion, but it would not surprise me to see some thawing on this matter.

With the financial issues and donations not coming in as expected, maybe they are finally realizing that you can only get so much money from a part-time janitor or grocery clerk.

Rub a Dub

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Our youngest son graduated in 1992 and enrolled in the local university. That was the year that the Society lightened their stance a little. It wouldn't have mattered though but it was nice not getting a lot of criticism. He would have been very unhappy to be a window washer. His income is well into 6 digits

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Before I went to bethel, WT had established their anti-education policy. After I got to bethel, I saw how those with legal, medical, and engineering degrees got royal treatment. It was clear to me that it was wrong to pursue a degree, but if you're still a JW after you get one, they will be more than happy to "use" you. Yes, they did soften their stance on advanced education, although it was enforced to widely varying degrees by the JW clergy hierarchy. It was a loophole for those who could exploit it. By the time I left bethel, they had clamped down on it again.

Okay I was talking to an elder and he said me going to university was a bad idea and I should have listened to the society and not gone.

Going to bethel was a bad idea. After slaving there for years, I left with little more than memories. My degree and everything I learned in university is something of great value to me for the rest of my life.

I also slaved to qualify to be appointed an elder and never received financial benefit from my years in that position. I was removed at the whim of the others on the body of elders. My degree has tripled my earning potential and it can't be taken away at the whim of some elders in a windowless room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit