Can you prove that our entire universe and existence is not a computer simulation?

by EndofMysteries 59 Replies latest social current

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I don't know how accurate that is, but again it makes you wonder about the usefulness of the distinction between reality and simulation.

It's accurate in the same sense that a nuclear blast is a chance to re-landscape the garden and about as useful. It's a perfect example of Viv's Law. He is simply using a poor understanding of quantum state superpostion and wave function collapse to arrive at this idea of reality being "filled in". Many an armchair phsysicists attempting deep thoughts on reality have fallen into this trap.

• bohm
    bohm
    What is to stop us right now from being able to create such an advanced program with AI?

Well, in practical terms there is a ton of things stopping us. Accurately simulating systems of just tens of atoms (with quantum effects) is very near impossible at the moment, and even if we allow fairly coarse-grained simulations then just a few thousand neurons post computational problems right now (but it all depends on the level of accuracy in the simulation).

If the approach is feasible with very large computers is very interesting. In principle there should not be a problem, but opinions are divided if the simulations would be conscious or not -- we simply don't know.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

CTRL-ALT-DEL normally works...

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

The sensation of simulation was perceived by Plato.

He said the physical world is just a (poor) simulation of the ideal world (literally world of ideas).

We have souls that want to live in the ideal world.

Kant and Schopenhauer made a good development upon this theory.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The question is if we are in a simulation, what sort of computer is running it? What are the laws that govern how that computer operates? How do you get simulations to have a conscious experience? Is that computer a simulation in another computer, and what about that computer…where does the chain of infinite regression end?

Especially these questions are pertinent if quantum mechanics means that reality is “pixelated” and thus a computer simulation.

Electronic computers work because of quantum mechanics. Any computer powerful enough to simulate the universe would likely harness the power of quantum mechanics as well, even more so. Quantum mechanics explains how atoms behave, which is the foundation for chemistry, and as well as electromagnetism and this electricity which is what runs modern computers.

If we are a simulation running on a computer of some sort, then it might not be a computer in the everyday sense and the laws of physics that govern that computer’s behavior might be unlike what we observe, which is all based on the behavior of quantum mechanics. In fact, we might not call such higher reality a computer in the everyday sense at all. In that sense, reality might indeed be something akin to a “simulation”, but not in the sense of being in an electronic machine.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Of course no one can prove we are not in a computer simulation, just like no can prove that unicorns don't exist.

The question is, if we are part of a computer simulation so real that no one involved can tell the difference between that and actual reality, what difference does it make whether we are or are not?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have yet to receive an error code like a 404 when I can't find something.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

If this is all a computer simulation, I wish someone would just end the program.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Of course no one can prove we are not in a computer simulation, just like no can prove that unicorns don't exist.
    The question is, if we are part of a computer simulation so real that no one involved can tell the difference between that and actual reality, what difference does it make whether we are or are not?

It would not make a difference, but if we ourselves are part of a simulation, then this is reality for us.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    All we can do is create simulations of intelligence. Mostly it's signal processing, pattern recognition and fast recall, not real 'intelligence' and reasoning.

Are you saying it would be impossible to replicate the human mind in a computer? Our minds are signal processing, pattern recognition, and fast recall as well. When born, we receive input and instructions by way of learning. We use patterns and analysis to make decisions. Our 'feelings' are based on chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, etc being released in response to certain actions and conditions. If a computer program was made with the same conditions as the human mind at birth, I see no reason why this would not be possible, and then it could have intelligence and reasoning that surpass us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit