Can you prove that our entire universe and existence is not a computer simulation?

by EndofMysteries 59 Replies latest social current

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If you were a computer programmer and you were to create a simulated automated world, that would constantly evolve and self run after initial designs. First you would have to code the rules, laws, and core elements of this world. While this is being coded, the program is not run yet, so none of it exists. When you actually have the foundation you turn it on.

Now there is a big empty universe. Depending if you have things in place yet or not. Then comes creating genetic code. You put the first life forms in motion so the process from there on is completely automated. To save time, you copy this genetic code and build up from it. The very basic life forms were the elementary phase and you recycle what you can of the code for other life forms and variations. You program in the ability for it to self alter and adapt to conditions and change over time. The highest form has such an advanced level of AI they can become self aware and have the ability to use the resources on this world to create all manner of things. In the end you'll never physically be in their world and they'll never physically be in your world either.

What is to stop us right now from being able to create such an advanced program with AI? If we will be able to do this, how would we know if we are not ourselves part of one?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Can you prove that our entire universe and existence is not a computer simulation?

Yes..

No one has ever Provided a Successful Argument..

Against This!!..

Holy Sh*t!..

IT`S A CARROT!!..

Image result for Surprised lookImage result for Carrot

• Simon
    Simon
    What is to stop us right now from being able to create such an advanced program with AI?

Lots. All we can do is create simulations of intelligence. Mostly it's signal processing, pattern recognition and fast recall, not real 'intelligence' and reasoning.

So "what is to stop us?". Everything.

• Island Man
    Island Man

No, I can't prove that our entire universe and existence is not a computer simulation. I am also willing to bet that you can't prove that it is. Where does that leave us?

One of the most pitiful excuses for believing an extraordinary claim is the suggestion that the claim cannot be disproved. When a claim is said to be unfalsifiable, that is not a commendation of the claim as being true. It is an indictment of the claim as being unverifiable and useless.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Seems like someone doesn't know how proof or logic works. Or programming, compiling, beta and alpha testing, etc.

• sparky1
    sparky1

TRON and TRON LEGACY were fantasy inspired movies made for entertainment. You do know that they were not documentaries?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Flashing pop-ups like "buy your own universe: just click here".

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

What is to stop us right now from being able to create such an advanced program with AI?

The fact that I rather have a martini with friends while watching classics.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

This reminds me of a joke:

Bill Gates dies in a car accident. He finds himself in purgatory, being sized up by St. Peter.

"Well, Bill, I'm really confused on this call; I'm not sure whether to send you to Heaven or Hell. After all, you enormously helped society by putting a computer in almost every home in America, yet you also created that ghastly Windows 8. I'm going to do something I've never done before in your case; I'm going to let you decide where you want to go."

Bill replied, "Well, what's the difference between the two?"

St. Peter said, "I'm willing to let you visit both places briefly, if it will help your decision."

"Fine, but where should I go first?"

"I'll leave that up to you."

"Okay then," said Bill, "Let's try Hell first."

So Bill went to Hell. It was a beautiful, clean, sandy beach with clear waters and lots of bikini-clad women running around, playing in the water, laughing and frolicking about. The sun was shining; the temperature perfect. He was very pleased.

"This is great!" he told St. Peter. "If this is hell, I REALLY want to see heaven!"

"Fine," said St. Peter, and off they went.

Heaven was a place high in the clouds, with angels drifting about, playing harps and singing. It was nice, but not as enticing as Hell. Bill thought for a quick minute, and rendered his decision.

"Hmmm. I think I'd prefer Hell," he told St. Peter.

"Fine," retorted St. Peter, "as you desire."

So Bill Gates went to Hell.

Two weeks later, St. Peter decided to check on the late billionaire to see how he was doing in Hell. When he got there, he found Bill, shackled to a wall, screaming amongst hot flames in dark caves, being burned and tortured by demons.

"How's everything going?" he asked Bill.

Bill responded, with his voice filled with anguish and disappointment,

"this is awful! This is nothing like the Hell I visited two weeks ago! I can't believe this is happening! What happened to that other place, with the beautiful beaches, the scantily-clad women playing in the water?!??? "

"That was a demo," replied St. Peter.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If everything we know is "simulation" then what is the meaning of "real" in this context? What is the distinction?

Zizek says physicists say quantum physics means that reality is not totally filled. It's like a computer game where the background is not defined unless you zoom in. Only when you zoom in does the program decide how to fill out the picture. Reality is said to exhibit a similar phenomenon where its subatomic constituents are not fully defined unless observed. I don't know how accurate that is, but again it makes you wonder about the usefulness of the distinction between reality and simulation.

Perhaps the main implication of viewing the world in this way is that it seems to make the presence of some sort of God like programmer more natural.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit