Jesus fulfilling old testament prophecies like his legs not being broken

by Isambard Crater 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

What are everyone's thoughts on this, how his legs weren't broken, he was pierced with a spear and he wore a thorny crown?

I'm PIMO and very much not wanting to believe, but like the Daniel statue prophecies, these ones about Jesus stick in my mind and give me "hmmm, maybe" moments.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    "hmmm, maybe"

Hmmm, I read you are PIMO but "maybe" should never be a reason for anyone to put their life in the hands of 7 midgets.

prophecies

Could be, but there is this broken clock analogy...

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Here, let me destroy our entire belief structure, lol. This page contains a simple summery of bible criticism - the gospels are not history. I thought it was pretty cool.

https://trevorburrus.com/2006/10/30/the-10-reasons-why-christianity-is-wrong/

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The gospels were written decades after Jesus is said to have died, with virtually no corroborating evidence that the details contained in the accounts happened. It would not be difficult for the gospel writers to include information that aligns with OT writings to make their story more compelling.

The stories in the NT are extraordinary. What I find more extraordinary though is that a man was creating huge issues with the Pharisees, performing miracles and raising dead people, and history is virtually silent about this, apart from the founders of this new religion.

It is far more logical to think the coincidences with prophecy never happened at all, and were added to manipulate the simple people of the times to join.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    What are everyone's thoughts on this, how his legs weren't broken, he was pierced with a spear and he wore a thorny crown?

Let me see... his legs didn't get broken, so that's supposed to mean that the prophecy was fulfilled, which is supposed to mean that the bible is this magic book that can predict the future, which is supposed to mean that everything else that it says is true and accurate, which is supposed to mean that I have to listen to whoever idiot claims that has the perfect interpretation of it, and it's supposed to entitle them to judge and hate others.

What a load of shit!

• venus
    venus

This so-called prophecy is found in Psalm 34 which was written by David when he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left. The very first verse says: “ I will extol the Lord at all times” which he himself did not fulfill.

Verses 6, and 7 say: “This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.” [This too did not happen in the case of Jesus who prayed to God to save him from his troubles]

Verse 20 says: “he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

If this is a prophecy, what is next verse: “Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned” (Ps 34:21)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

IT's JUST A STORY!

Hosea 11:1- "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son."

So when I write my gospel, I will make sure to include that somehow.

Matthew 2:15- "where he stayed until the death of Herod. This fulfilled what the Lord had spoken through the prophet: 'Out of Egypt I called my Son.'"

So another story goes-

Exodus 12:46- In one house it shall be eaten; you shall not carry any of the flesh outside the house, nor shall you break one of its bones.

Numbers 9:12- They shall leave none of it until morning, nor break one of its bones. According to all the ordinances of the Passover they shall keep it.

Psalm 34:20- He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken.

The Israelites probably had no idea why they could not break the bones of the lamb. But they avoided doing it because God said not to do it.

So when I write my gospel, I will make sure to include THAT somehow.

John 19:36- For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

If the OT said something that made people believe that the messiah definitely would have some feature or backstory, then a writer in later centuries would certainly want to mention those features or backstory, whether or not the events happened or if the backstory is totally fictional.

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

It's the story of the suns journey round the zodiac.....The sign of the zodiac that ends the suns "career" just before the winter solstice is Sagittarius.....the centaur/centurion who pierces the sun with his spear and brings sunny boy's journey to an end......The old "Lion King" dies and the new son/sun starts his trip around the circuit with the "twelve" signs of the zodiac.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I don’t know why the writer of Mathew went to such great lengths to make it as though jesus fulfilled so many prophecies. He got so carried away that many of them weren’t prophecies at all.

• stillin
    stillin

It seems a lot like the target bullseye was drawn around wherever the arrow was stuck in. The WTS does that a lot. The whole Revelation book that got studied, what, 4 times?is that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit