What did you think of "Simplification" ???

by Swan 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

Uniformed in benign smiles

So true! How about the blank eyes? SCARY! The stuff of nightmares.........

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Would you like the latest issues of the Watchtower and Awake?

• Swan
    Swan

I see where you are coming from now stillajwexelder:

Take the example of pioneers -- in the 70s and early 80s they actually submitted their reports direct to the Branch offices around the world and wrote their excuse letters of why they did not get their hours that month also to the branch-- after simplification they submitted to the secretary and gave him their excuse -- in other words the local body -- so this I saw as less centralizing and more delegating

Thanks for elaborating. Yes, in that respect there was more delegating.

Tammy

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

But in other areas -- electronic transfer of funds and other issues -- the simplification on the money issue is actually more centalizing and more controlling so I do not think there is a totally straightforward answer. On doing away with subscriptions can be argued both ways - -saves money but now magaziness come from congregations not Bethel -- so delegating

• Swan
    Swan
    On doing away with subscriptions can be argued both ways - -saves money but now magaziness come from congregations not Bethel -- so delegating

This change happened after I left, but I would think that from an individual's perspective that means tighter control. Rather than have your mags. addressed automatically by the WTBTS computers and delivered by the post office, you now have to show up at the cong to pick them up, where you are under the elder's and mag. servant's scrutiny.

If you look at it from the cong. perspective, yes, the work and control was delegated, but the control over the individual actually increases. Does anyone else feel this way?

Tammy

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

mm - not thought about it that way -- I can see where you are coming from - yes can definitely be argued it is more controlling and not just from financial standpoint

• Balsam
    Balsam

When I became a JW back in 1972, there were full orchestra's for our music. We had full service meals at every assembly and convention and lots of lunch time to visit with old friends we hadn't seen since the last assembly. They even had nice breakfasts for those who arrived early. The conventions and Assemblies were days longer too and longer from beginning to end each day.

Then it gradually changed little by little. The hours were cut, then the days, then the simplified meals, music was just recorded. We were grateful for the shorter assembly days, and the days being cut down for conventions too. That was good. But I think for me it came so gradually, and I was so busy with children and getting them ready in the later days and carrying lunches for us all in coolers, I didn't see it was getting worse.

I think for me giving up vacation time after my ex-husband and I had children to go to conventions really made me irritable. I was not a happy mom, and the kids didn't want to sit all day in a convention. They wanted to have fun and play, and frankly so did I. As the years passed I came to dread the conventions, finally to just plain hate them before I left. I know my oldest son is glad to be free of it all, we talk about it often. My youngest son because he chose to live with his Dad still goes, I've told him to make the best of it, know it is boring.

Simplification was nothing more than the WTBTS was not raking in the money they used too, and we were paying the price. Where was all that money going? Have any of you wondered if the Governing Body and directors aren't lining their pockets. I believe somebody is profiting from all the money that goes into the Society, but who. The financial dept probably has the best chance of getting some of it.

The rank and file like I was I think just didn't notice to terribly much, it happened gradually and over many years.

Balsam

• Swan
    Swan

Balsam, I so relate to this:

The rank and file like I was I think just didn't notice to terribly much, it happened gradually and over many years.

As the years passed I came to dread the conventions, finally to just plain hate them before I left.

Yeah, I didn't notice that much until I realized I had come to hate them too. Then I began to think about why. Usually it was while I was sitting in those miserable, hot afternoon sessions.

Tammy

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I was sad to see the hot meals go, but I understood that it was probably better, since so many volunteers were missing part of the talks to help out...HOWEVER what did really bother me is that we were told we should bring our own food, and not buy from the vendors outside of the convention centers, or even visit the local restuarants near the center. We were to be fellowshiping with other JWs...not worldly people..sheesh...the local businesses were not too happy about that...my mother would stay up really late the night before, running around to fix lunches for her bizillion children...they were not very good, and the younger siblings were always pissed off to have to drink warm generic soda, and soggy balony sandwhiches..or peanut butter.

That was one of the first things that really started ticking me off when I started to have doubts. It used to be that we were supposed to just be on our best behavior at the local businesses, to give a good witness. I gotta tell you, when I was an adult I NEVER brought my own food. I took my son across the street to McD's...and never felt guilty about buying a hotdog from a vendor.

• core
    core

SImplification was driven in many areas by Legislation - not just the Tax / Charity issues but Health & Safety, Food Hygiene etc

Easier not to do food than to comply with the mass of legislation re food temperture storage/hygiene etc etc

Simplification was sold to elders in the 80s as reducing paperwork - well it did for the branch offices but it moved the work out to the congregations - PO & Secretary taking a lot more work on - Simplification was a standing joke in congs as letter after letter flooded in with more work for the service committee to handle in coping with the mass of legislation. Changes were made to move responsibility for coping with the mass of new legislation from the WT (who made the rules and told you what to do in every case) to local elders who were held (by the state authorities) as responsible for their actions - in effect local elders made scapegoats for any failing as they had no room for manoeuvre in matters of legal compliance, but the branch abdicated any responsibility for its directives.

Assembly time became dull and more boring as the opportunities to volunteer and meet others (especially for young ones) virtually vanished - arrive - listen to music - sing song - hear prayer - hear talks "Do More" - song - sandwiches - song - more talks "Give More" - song - go home not much fun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit