What did you think of "Simplification" ???

by Swan 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rush
    Rush
    and there will be fewer "original" editions out there to compare newer editions to for changes. That was a very clever move on the WTS's part.

that is an awfully good point scully, never really thought about that. genius.

Rush

• maxwell
    maxwell

I kinda missed the stuff that went with simplification like the meals at assemblies. I wasn't too concerned about the books losing the hardcovers, but it did seem that I could keep a hardcover book in better shape. Live music was mostly before my time. I only remember that we had a piano player in our hall in the early 80's. I don't remember any other hall that had that. They moved to playing records before they released the latest songbook. I kinda wished that they still used the orchestras and live singers that I heard they used to have at assemblies. But simplification seemed to be a good thing. Save money. Less people having to be out of their seats during the program. And supposedly it went hand in hand with the message from the platform to simplify your life by having less phyiscal possessions and worldly pursuits. Supposedly that would save your money and time that could be better devoted to the "truth".

Actually, my life is much simpler now than it was as a JW. When I was a JW, I had to be at the Kingdom Hall at least three times a week plus time to go in field service. I had responsibilities at the hall and of course you had to study before the meetings. I had to keep a car in good working order so that I could get to meetings and share in the field service. That translates into a lot of time and money. Now my weeknights and weekends are free. After I left, I sold my car, so that's a big chunk of money that I don't have to spend there. I'm not putting money into the contribution box now either. More money saved there, although I do donate a small token amount to a charity every year and I sometimes think about donating more. Money had to be saved for the hotels and traveling to the District Conventions and Circuit Assemblies. Being a JW is costly. Leaving the JW simplified my life greatly.

• metatron
    metatron

I knew a guy in the pressroom when they started to print paperback books.

The Society had the cost savings down to the penny on each book.

Most of the motivation for 'simplification" was money -- but I think a lesser motivation

involves the deepening lack of ability and intelligence among Witnesses, especially elders and MS's.

The organization has been dumbing down for quite awhile - and it shows, particularily in the reading level

required for the publications.

Try talking to ANY adult Witness about anything that requires deep thought and watch what happens.

You can discern a silent transformation into opinions that would befit a three year old child.

Some congregations can't even find brothers who are competent to do the accounts or run the sound

for meetings.

metatron

• Swan
    Swan

stillajwexelder wrote:

I actually thought simplification was a good idea -- in general it led to less central control -- and I hate the control-freak tendencies of the borganization -- so I was all for it.

That is an interesting perception. I saw it more as the organization controlling everything, like your menu, the music you listen to at intermission, etc. No room for variation. Cookie cutter assemblies. How did you see it as less control, I am really interested to know?

I remember in the 60's and 70's things were so different. The brothers used to set up snow cone stands at one assembly where it was very hot. Another served local strawberries that we volunteered to pick. Another had fresh peaches (and they were ripe!). At yet another assembly (this one in Alaska) we had halibut for dinner, which made sense for the location. Another had canteloupes and even served them ala mode. The brothers were doing a bang-up business and bringing in a lot of money for the assembly.

I also remember circuit assemblies with pies and cakes donated. I can understand the bake sale types of refreshment stands going away as health codes changed, however, but how did all of that other variation hurt the WTBTS? Because it was variation. Even back in the borg I saw simplification as a way to remove art, expression, variation, person tastes, initiative, etc. although I didn't actually recognize this as a form of "cult" control.

That was my perception. Did anyone else see this at the time? I'm really curious to know now.

Tammy

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well the tendancy is always toward the crushing of individual expression. Think upon the loss of such things as the snow cones, provided by some brother whos selling them, sure, but its a personal touch that sticks in memory.An eradicated practise now. I left in the late 70s when books were still hard bound, thank god. Its like approved forms of Art under Hitler I suppose. Monumental. Impersonal. Doubtless in the "new world" there would be classes of people allocated for extermination, and the bread would fall apart while you were trying to get a slice out of the wrapper.

I thought swans posts in this thread very good. Thought provoking.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Swan... well said.

Metatron wrote:

Try talking to ANY adult Witness about anything that requires deep thought and watch what happens. You can discern a silent transformation into opinions that would befit a three year old child.
    Okay, that sort of generalization just galls me. It's true that a lot of Witnesses have a rather narrow view of the world. But putting words like "ANY" on there is simply ridiculous. I just know too many Witnesses who are actually intelligent, cultured, thoughtful people in everything except for religion.
  • refiners fire
    refiners fire

I would say that many of them are capable of lateral or creative thought on other issues. Except religion. On the subject of religion they fall back onto predictable stereotypes in thinking. The mind control they are under relates to the religious ideas sphere, not to every sphere of thought and possibility.

Having known meta a long while I would imagine he was referring to religious thought in JDubs. Metas no idiot.

• metatron
    metatron

"except for religion" (!!)

I don't think it's much of a generalization. You get a little deep about anything and what happens?

"We need to wait on Jehovah"

"I'm glad the End is so Near"

"Satan is after us"

"Well, it's still the 'truth'"

The sense of adulthood just shuts down. I don't doubt these people have IQ's - and even education.

Yet, they are carefully trained NOT to think - to shut it out, reminiscent of 1984's "thought-crime".

How do I know? Because I NOW kick myself with the thought:

"What was I thinking????"

Answer: I wasn't

and neither are they.

metatron

• waiting
    waiting

Most cults DO have mind-stopping phrases for their members. It doesn't mean they're dumb people - but as met brought out (after his dumbing down comment) - that they've been taught not to think any further. Btw, the WT is dumbing down the literature. The WT is also writing more in a convoluted style so even if you can read it.....it doesn't make sense.....but most people can't even try to really read it. "That WT study was soooooooooo deeeeeeeeeep!"

JW's have the capabilities to think upon anything (we're proof) - but they have to open their minds to do it. JW's also do quite well in many businesses - proving their not ignorant and/or dumb in all areas. They just stop thinking (or at least expressing their thoughts) on subjects they're not supposed to think about.

And JW's are proud of this fact, btw, because it's proves they're not "stiff-necked, independent thinkers, rebellious like ________________, "

As for the little independent things we lost over the years? Countless.

• Letting our kids have crayons & paper at the assemblies.
    • Letting our little kids have their own pillows to take a nap after 6/8 friggin' hours of boring sessions.
    • No strollers in the hallway.
    • No walking in hallways during sessions.
    • STUPID attendents with their STUPID signs saying "No talking" "Return to your seats" etc.
    • Cherry pies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when sisters donated their cooked goods.

The WT wants a "large army" - they've got it. Sterile, grey, saluting, no independent thinking. Uniformed in benign smiles, canned phrases, - all for the sake of a United Brotherhood.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooooooooooooooooo glad to be outta there!

waiting

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Swan says:

That is an interesting perception. I saw it more as the organization controlling everything, like your menu, the music you listen to at intermission, etc. No room for variation. Cookie cutter assemblies. How did you see it as less control, I am really interested to know?

Take the example of pioneers -- in the 70s and early 80s they actually submitted their reports direct to the Branch offices around the world and wrote their excuse letters of why they did not get their hours that month also to the branch-- after simplification they submitted to the secretary and gave him their excuse -- in other words the local body -- so this I saw as less centralizing and more delegating -- I will come up with others -- but I stand by what I said -- in general (there are always exceptions) I saw simplification as less central control

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit