Convention Weirdness

by BlackWolf 41 Replies latest jw friends

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Through my decades in The Lie, many times they did not announce a date or place for the next years RC. It of course, would lead to suspicion that the WT 'knew' something that we lowly ones didn't. It caused renewed vigor in that... maybe our 'deliverance' was getting near. Nope. They just hadn't finalized the next years RC plans yet or they intentionally try and excite, scare, stress their loyal subjects.

As far as this years emotional videos...maybe the Govererning boobee's wants its followers to eventually stop preaching. Maybe they really did build a huge bunker at their new lakeside estate. Maybe they will try and scare all the sheeples into giving all of their money to them, and sell off all the kingdom hauls and assembly hauls they own. This could take a number of years to accomplish. After a portion of the GB's money is safely packed away in numbered accounts, and after they buy hundreds of different businesses and other investment properties world wide, they will report the preaching is done. Wait on Jehovah. Good bye. Stay warm and well fed and don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord, split ya and they will morf, into some other new brand religion that doesn't go d2d or use rolly carts. An easier religion. Maybe TV evangelists or TV evalgelists for children... like cartoon religion. (??? I just thought of that. Lett seems to be practing for the part). They will do whatever they can to keep the money flowing in.

LoisLane

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have a dear friend, who is still a JW. She figured out I'm not, but she didn't unfriend me on Face Book. I just saw where she tells everyone that she enjoyed all the videos they showed and that people should bring kleenex for all the emotional moments. What emotional moments?

• thereishope
    thereishope

Oh, here is where those who have gone to their convention are supposed to be all hush-hush to those who have not yet made it - so as not to spoil it for them - yuck! Tissues for when the young sister is disfellowshipped and shunned by her family and made to leave the family home and how those doing the shunning are so broken up about it! Tissues for when the Dad breaks the heart of the little boy with the musical talent, and the Dad feels so bad! Tissues for when everyone in previous videos are together again in this weird paradise and reunited with their lost loved ones because they remained LOYAL to Jehovah. I'm glad I didn't waste my time and energy. Actually, I sat at home while my husband went on his own, and spent most of the 3 days reading this forum - oops! hee hee

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Now my crazy mother is going on about how our message is going to change soon and we won't have to preach anymore in the great tribulation. Everyone who doesn't hide in the stupid basement will be doomed..

This is a perfect example of what the WT does. They disseminate crazy ass stuff to their followers, and later, when generations from now, a person points out the manipulation to the last surviving WT "true believer" they will say, "But JW.org never SAID that we were in the great tribulation. Some overeager JWs decided that is what they WANTED, and so they came to believe it. But CERTAINLY, the WT wasn't teaching such a thing! They were merely surmising."

• jws
    jws

I've only gone once (out of curiosity) in the last 2 decades. But to me, the message was always about armageddon being near. Back in 1983, Time Magazine was supposed to declare 1984 the "Year of Peace" and that was supposed to be the cry of peace and security and kick it all off and people were all abuzz. At the one I went to out of curiosity, I forget the quote. Something about not only the hour being near, but us being in the final seconds or something to that effect.

As far as the preaching work..., we'll see. I haven't had one knock on my door for a few years that I know of. Of course that was after I accepted their "study" so that I could debate them week after week and at one, pulled out reprints of articles about the UN. After which, he called the study to a halt and I haven't heard from them since. So maybe I'm labeled "do not call".

But their whole business model is changing, so I could see changes in the preaching work. They're laying off the printing. Maybe they hope to do more online campaigns or something.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

#WeirdestConventionEver

Lot's of crying, but plenty of dry eyes as well, which I found curious.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said jwdaughter! Well said indeed!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

In 10 years, when we are all still here, people will refer to this convention and laugh....

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The International Conventions of 2 years ago with all of their "historic significance", fan fare, festivities and entertainment programs for the visiting delegates, have already faded into a distant memory. So too will this years conventions with their sappy shunning and end times bunker videos, become a thing of the past and will in 5 years time, be laughable and outdated to anyone who cares enough to look back on them and may even serve to wake people up when they realize that they've once again been lead down the garden path .

(ring ring) Hello... Day old news department ?? Yes, I'd like to cancel my subscription to your publication the Watchtower. From now on I'll be giving my business to "Behind the Times Quarterly". Their information is just as inaccurate but I find it a lot more fun and interesting to read.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I Remember this kind of speculation forty years ago in the run up th 1975, parsing out what was said and not said at the conventions, silly speculation about what it might mean.

They love it when people read between the lines and start speculating, I think they actually want people to do that. Of course they never say anything themselves that they can be held accountable for later. They have been at this game for well over a hundred years, so why shouldn't they be good at it?

I remember my mother telling me "brother Dimwit says Armageddon must be close, and he's and elder so he must know". I thought it was pathetic, I had begun to realize how much hope made people gullible. They weren't happy in their current life, they NEEDED it to be over soon and need made them willing to grasp at any hint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit