Contact Equals Suicide?

by patio34 44 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    humans tend to fear what they do not understand and a derivative of fear is non recognition. - Dave, bold added

Just had to make a quick comment on this comment; Yeah, maybe so.

Still, I don't see any reason to think that the Carl Sagans, the AlanF's, the JanH's, etc. of this world, are acting and believing from a position of fear more so than the Whit Striebers (sp?), the Logicals, the Ianaos, the tallymans of this world. (just working from the opinions expressed on the "mars" thread).

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Six,

Interesting point. Are you suggesting that those men (noticed no women were named) don't exercise any sort of denial in their lives?

Like, their pants shrinking in the wash instead of putting on 5 lbs.? Someone moved their shoes, keys, book, etc?

Their wives coming home late from work, strange men calling & hanging up when they answer, unexplained charges on the credit cards, etc., but she has no problems and just wanted to lose those 40 pesky pounds, get her hair colored just for the fun of it?

Their kids coming in with hickeys on their neck, condoms in their pockets, purses, but they aren't having sex, someone else put them in their purse - all six times?

Their boss glaring at them, not talking, or in reverse damning them, but they know it's nothing to do with them, he's just "ragging it?"

That persistent cough with blood in it has nothing to do with smoking two packs of cigarettes every day for 20 years?

That your 14 year old son is chewing tobacco but it's not really smoking, so it's harmless?

That the lump in their wife's breast is nothing to worry about - it's so tiny. Check on it at next yearly physical, which most of us have every decade.

Their thinking that the WTBTS is God's Only Channel to Mankind?

I personally think that the vast majority of us live in denial a good deal of our lives in one situation or another. Since aliens can't be proven one way or another - it makes it even easier to not think about it, especially with negativity.

Btw, the above examples were mostly pulled out of thin air. The kid using chewing tobacco is true. At 20/21, he was diagnosed with mouth cancer. He didn't do well.

The wife example was a friend of my husband's. He was so surprised.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

hey Six,

Just went to the "Face on Mars" thread. I hadn't gone before because I don't really believe in those things and it just didn't interest me.

I see Alan & Jan's points - and agree.

However, that's not to say that those same men cannot be in denial on other points, happenings, in their lives.

waiting

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sigh.

I suppose Waiting. But they seem to me to be the least likely type (to be in "denial" about anything), out of the pool of both men and women.

btw, did you know that men and women are almost exactly the same?

• waiting
    waiting

Six, don't you *sigh* at me! Only the men who live/work with me are allowed to *sigh*! My husband's a champion *sigher* btw.

He's also quite able to look at men he went to school with and believe he looks significantly younger than those men - for some strange reason. And still thinks of himself and them as "boys."

Women's liberation will not be achieved until a woman can become paunchy and bald and still think she's attractive to the opposite sex. Earl Wilson

with all due respect,

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit