Contact Equals Suicide?

by patio34 44 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

WHAT!!!!

This is an interesting thread - what about the movie with Will Smith and the aliens attacking the earth?

What about the movie Contact?

What about the movie with Charlie Sheene where the aliens have been on our earth for centuries - just slowly taking over?

What about the classic (which I can't remember the name) where the aliens come and take the guy back with them for learning? In the '70's by Steven Spielburg.

Starman? And the other Steven Spielburg movie with the cute alien?
    And Predators and Predators II.

I know these are all science fiction - but so is this thread. We tend to put our own value system and interpretation of intelligence on a concept we have no way of knowing. Rather takes away the original thought of the word "alien" - as in unknown.

Rebuttal?

waiting

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

No rebuttal - just an observation:
    Perhaps Charles Taze Russell was an alien. I mean, where did he get his pyramidological theories from any way? After all, were those ideas, or the idea of demon possession, or the imminence of Armageddon, any less based on science fiction?
    Carl Sagan's movie (from his book) Contact is utterly brilliant. I strongly recommend it to all ex-JW's. It deals not so much with the existence of aliens as it does with the similarities and differences with religion and science.

• patio34
    patio34

Waiting,

Hi! Your comparisons about the movies and aliens were good. What a memory!

It sparked a thought I had when reading books on evolution. And that is that humans have evolved (so goes the theory) because of natural selection and especially geographical conditions. Also the enemies they have.

Now, and this is the point, if life evolved on other planets, their geographical and climate, enemies, etc. were different than earth's. So, these beings may have evolved looking completely different from humans.

SO, maybe the science fiction aliens aren't so totally far-fetched! Maybe an intelligent dinasour could have evolved. Spooky!

I say 'Turn off those radio signals!' I think they did anyway--it was only done for a short time to a certain sector, I think.

Or, according to SFJim, they could look like Chas Taze Russell! With that scowl and, imo, that ugly beard! You know, the kind with no mustache. Yuck!

Pat

• esther
    esther

Just a thought. According to the theory of relativity, if a man leaves earth for a time and returns, he will have aged less than those left behind. Would that apply to aliens leaving their planet (presuming they exist, of course)? Well, if we are going to look into all the realms of possibility, why not include the theory of relativity? I admit, though, that I don't really understand the theory, but it sounds good

esther

• hippikon
  • waiting
    waiting

hey hippi,

I just cant get it right

My life story.

Back to the aliens - I find it far fetched (as if this whole conversation is based in reality, eh?) to think that aliens will be friendly.

Afterall, we're not friendly to strangers - particularily if they look/act different than us. We've proved this throughout our history.

Becoming extinct is a perfect answer to everything and I defy anybody to think of a better. Will Cuppy

Researchers have already cast much darkness on this subject and if they continue their investigations we shall soon know nothing at all about it. Mark Twain

waiting

• patio34
    patio34

Waiting, 'Researchers have cast much darkness on this subject . . . ' Seems to apply also to the WTS, huh?

When you stop and think about this scary subject of alien invasion, I realize it's a luxury that we don't have to seriously worry about it. We have enough to worry about in our own back yard here on earth!

Esther, it would seem to me the theory of relativity would apply everywhere else in the universe. However, in the movie "Contact" travel was through a 'wormhole,' which didn't take long at all.

It's as clear as mud to me!

Pat

• waiting
    waiting

hey patio,

Esther, it would seem to me the theory of relativity would apply

Who's Esther? You've been dying to use that word, haven't you?

waiting

• patio34
    patio34

Waiting,

Huh?

Pat

• waiting
    waiting

hey pat again!

Esther, it would seem to me the theory of relativity would apply everywhere else in the universe. However, in the movie "Contact" travel was through a 'wormhole,' which didn't take long at all. - Patio's post

Who's Esther?

waiting as usual........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit