Contact Equals Suicide?

by patio34 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Any advanced extraterrestrials who discovered us would surely treat us in the same way.

That conclusion only follows inductively based upon a single set of reference. Your use of the word "surely" is therefore a big overstatement based upon the evidence, and lack of it.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I am saying it is not a logically sound conclusion.

Farkel

• patio34
    patio34

Farkel,

That comment that ETs would treat humans in the same way humans have treated other species and other humans was from the book. The author seemed to have based his rationale on the only known instance of life we know. Even if it is not 'surely,' then it is possible, if not probable.

Pat

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Point well taken regarding my writing style, Bill. Perhaps I was a bit too "Watchtowerish". (Gee, maybe I should audition my writing talents to the "Faithful & Discreet Slave....hmmmmm???)
    Anyway, I follow your logic, but respectfully disagree with it. Yes, while the Nazis did have some remarkable technological advances, I believe that any species which is so far advanced in their technology would by default have to be peaceful and benevolent. Why? Simply because otherwise they would have annihilated themselves first.

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Jim said: "I believe that any species which is so far advanced in their technology would by default have to be peaceful and benevolent. Why? Simply because otherwise they would have annihilated themselves first."

OK, possibly so. I see your point.

Jim also said: "Gee, maybe I should audition my writing talents to the "Faithful & Discreet Slave...."

Oh, Jim, let's do! God knows they NEED our help! "Dear Brothers, It has come to our attention that your organization is getting a little short-handed these days. We would like to offer our services to support your vitally important, worldwide charitable work. Our qualifications include apostasy, homosexuality, self-abuse, bad associations, unbecoming conduct, and a thorough acquaintance with all varieties of failed prophecy. We feel sure our combined efforts will prove useful to your organization as we can relate intimately to the human failings of all your followers. Our resumes and confidential Kingdom Hall files are enclosed for your review; recommendations from the elders who kicked our butts will be forwarded upon request. Our only stipulation is that we receive five percent of your gross income from sales of literature--small bills, please, in a plain suitcase. Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you soon. In brotherly love, Jim and Bill . . . ."

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• logical
    logical

Maybe they are just looking for a new supplier

• hippikon
    hippikon

The evolution model (Survival of the aggressive) would likely produce a dog eat dog mentality. However one would hope an increase in intelligence would shift the scale towards community ethics.

These aliens (if they exist) are probably shaking their heads in disbelief.

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• patio34
    patio34

Hippikon,

Let's hope they don't exist! At least if they're aggressive (as humans tend to be).

Jim,

Maybe they would have to be peaceful if they survived their own ability to annihilate their planet.

Pat

• waiting
    waiting
    Anyway, I follow your logic, but respectfully disagree with it. Yes, while the Nazis did have some remarkable technological advances, I believe that any species which is so far advanced in their technology would by default have to be peaceful and benevolent. Why? Simply because otherwise they would have annihilated themselves first.-SanFranJim

Interesting point, but unproveable. Of course, aliens are unproveable. However, being remarkable technological advanced might mean they're just more cautious about instigating destruction without the aliens being peaceful and benevolent.

They might have learned to pace their living/destruction at a better rate for their own survival, not for survival of other species.

waiting

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

So, Waiting, are you telling me that if the species in question managed to survive their own Armageddon and came out the other side in a lion-petting paradise, that while they were enjoying their own eternal bliss, they might still come to our planet and slaughter all of our lions so we don't get the chance to pet them ourselves? Hmmmmm.... interesting point of view. Can't say I totally disagree. If indeed they have advanced their civilization to the status of perfection, they might make other worlds uncomfortable just to break the monotony and boredom, eh?

• waiting
    waiting

hey SanFranJim,

So, Waiting, are you telling me

yup.

that if the species in question managed to survive their own Armageddon and came out the other side in a lion-petting paradise,

I never indicated that. They may never have experienced an Armageddon. If they didn't believe in the Bible, how would they know this? And just because they might be technically advanced (a lot) doesn't mean they're in a paradise condition. Two, three, different things.

If indeed they have advanced their civilization to the status of perfection, they might make other worlds uncomfortable just to break the monotony and boredom, eh?

Interesting point - brought forth in the Matrix about human beings. We don't tend to survive well in total peace and harmony. We tend to do better in a flux state - good/bad. Bosses have known forever that some employees produce much better with a deadline - even if self-imposed by the employee.

Perfection doesn't have to be in this discussion, seems to fit better with Armageddon & Paradise. Because a civilization is technically advanced says nothing about perfection.

I can picture a world without war, without crime. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it. Jack Handey

Some truth to that bit of humor.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit