How old's the human race?

by Freedom rocks 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

Hi Cofty,

Real problem is not that creationists have not studied evolution. Many of them have studied it, and some of them also have done their homework (like me) which means we have studied the philosophy of evolution and philosophy of science—something obviously you lack because of which you act like the one who takes a bulldozer to crush an egg. See the way you react using too big words such as “painfully ignorant” [which betrays your basis as emotion, rather than reason] to refer to any view which you don’t like. Your greatest reason for abandoning faith in God was 2004 Tsunami according to your own testimony. This is not at a reason because surviving victims of that Tsunami, and their close family members still continue to be believers in God which reveals their basis of believing in God as reason, not emotion.

In philosophy of science, science is neutral as it is just a study of laws of nature with a view to using them to benefit humanity, to bring comfort to us. “With regard to theological or metaphysical reality, science holds the agnostic position – it simply has no knowledge on this subject.” (Philip G Zimbardo and Floyd L Ruch, Psychologia I zycie, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, wyd III, Warszawa 1996, s 19) Yet, look at the current scenario: Science has not created any living being, not even a too tiny seed that can ensure all its future generations being protected in its memory [which if it had done, it would still not prove God doesn't exist]; instead it made the designs of factories and vehicles with their emission pipes to the air and drainage systems to the water sources which means water and air were treated as global garbage cans knowing very well that no life is possible without pure air and water. See how the globally acclaimed physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking himself testifies: “We are in danger of destroying ourselves ….. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet.”

After polluting water and air, now science is thinking of various ways of removing the pollution which is not wisdom, not love of wisdom; but it amounts only to undoing the harm caused because of its own short-sightedness.

When an individual or nation becomes materially rich for first time, next question that comes is “where is God?” (Proverb 30:9) which implies we can get along without Him. But the longer you enjoy material abundance you begin to experience emptiness within from where you start searching for God, as happened in India. India experienced material abundance long back, before any other country became materially rich and it is only a well-known history that many Islamic rulers and some Christian nations became materially rich by plundering India. Its ancient stories are the reflections of the time they were written; and show that it was materially rich and also had well-grounded belief in God which even now continues with the number of materialists in that country being too minimal.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Venus

Despite what you say you clearly do not know enough about evolution to understand how little you actually know. The term 'painfully ignorant' can quite accurately be used for people such as yourself for that reason and no other; it is painful to witness (which is what was actually written a couple of posts back by Cofty) the ramblings of someone who obviously does not understand the topic yet shouts very loudly that they understand it better than those of us who do...

I find it hard to believe you have studied anything like you assert for this reason: Your posts are all over the place and conclusions do not follow the evidence presented. Therefore I conclude that you are doing nothing more than re-reporting what you have read on creationist sites whilst making no attempt to understand the underlying topic you are discussing.

• venus
    venus

Hi WhatshallIcallmyself

It clearly shows you did not get the spirit of mere four paragraphs I wrote. This is typical of people who specializes in just one subject: "Wisdom alone is the science of all other sciences. The excessive increase of anything causes a reaction in the opposite direction. I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning." Plato

• cofty
    cofty
    Real problem is not that creationists have not studied evolution. Many of them have studied it, and some of them also have done their homework (like me) - Venus

I have never encountered a creationist who knew the first thing about evolution and I have had exchanges with dozens of them. Your own contributions betray a woeful ignorance of science.

• venus
    venus

Hi Cofty,

You wrote two small sentences in which you revealed your extremism three times—“never encountered a creationist who knew the first thing about evolution and I have debated dozens of them. Your own contributions betray a woeful ignorance of science.” This explains your own life—one leap into JW belief system where you could not find God which resulted in another leap into its opposite direction.

This happened to me also in my school days. Fully charged with evolutionist environment I too became a believer in the theory of evolution and believed great materialists such as David Hume, Greta Christina, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Bertrand Russell, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins … without knowing they were all parroting the famous question “Who designed the Designer?”, I too asked the same question to my professor who was a creationist. He asked me “Venus, do you know what you are asking about? Have you understood the meaning of your own question? Have you ever been a recipient of this sort of question yourself? If I ask you: “Venus, have you uttered an unutterable word? Have you comprehended the incomprehensible? Have you described the indescribable? …..” How would you rate myself?

I have never felt so ashamed of myself as that day—all because I believed all those world renowned evolutionists/materialists. Then I chanced to read Signature in the Cell (by Stephen C. Meyer) which was followed by some other books which go deep into molecular biology and design, all of which created in me a thirst for God and an awe like that of Bill Gates who exclaimed “DNA is like a computer program, but far, far more advanced than any software ever created” because it is the experience of all of us (including evolutionists) that specified information as contained in DNA always, always, “always arises from an intelligent source, from a mind and not a strictly material process.”

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's an interesting article that's related to the OP. According to the Indy, scientists have apparently sequenced 15,000 year old human DNA from Morocco.

(https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/human-dna-history-study-morocco-africa-iberomaurusian-migration-max-planck-institute-a8277346.html.)

Of course, humans are older than this but this is still pretty impressive.

It also shows that humans go back much further than 6,000 year old Adam ...

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Venus -

What Cofty said was true; you haven't the first clue what you are talking about regarding evolution. Perhaps if you stopped reading nonsense books and learnt about the subject you would know why books like 'signature in the cell' are nonsense and why what you are saying at the moment is woefully wrong...

You accuse others of behaving like the JWs, and yet you cannot see that it is you that is behaving just like them.

"...specified information as contained in DNA..." - Venus

That is a very old creationist argument Venus. I wonder if you could explain what specified information is.

• cofty
    cofty
    Then I chanced to read Signature in the Cell (by Stephen C. Meyer)

If you fell for that pile of bullshit you knew nothing at all about the evidence for evolution and still don't.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Venus, you're talking out of Uranus.

(Come on, somebody had to say it!)

• cofty
    cofty
    I too asked the same question to my professor who was a creationist. - Venus

Having dumb teachers is bad luck but you can't use it an excuse for your entire life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit