Languages, Dialects, Accents

by LoveUniHateExams 180 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Most people struggling with a new language run into the utter horribleness of Google Translate early on, so I thought it might be fun to post examples.

Here's one in German:

What it should have said would be something like:

"With her Laufrad she blithely jets down the street at breakneck speed."

Some words shouldn't be translated literally and some words shouldn't be translated at all.

A "Laufrad" is a small bicycle without pedals vaguely similar to what we call a scooter in English. Since (AFAIK) we don't really have an equivalent, it shouldn't be translated at all.

The expression, "Affenzahn" shouldn't be translated literally; it's a colloquialism.

Why Google tripped over "düst" I have no idea.

--But it is kinda funny...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TD

What you've done, I think, is given an example of an idiom, and an excellent example at that.

Idioms shouldn't be translated literally because they have a specific meaning.

For example ...

It's raining cats and dogs.

Here's an example in German ...

Es gibt literally means 'it gives' but this expression is used to mean there is/are.

Es gibt 9 Million Einwohner in London. (There are 9 million inhabitants in London.)

Es gab keinen Fernseher in meinem Zimmer. (There was no TV in my room.)

My German is rusty but even when it wasn't, it was nowhere near the standard of your German.

Please keep posting German so that I can learn new things or be reminded of old things.

• TD
    TD

Here's a line from a Helene Fischer song (Mit keinem Andern)

The idiom here (um die Häuser ziehen) would be equivalent to "Bar hopping" or "Pub crawling" in English

To be fair, Google is slowly getting better at idioms.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi TD, wanna ask you something.

Back when I was in school, my German teacher was teaching us some sayings.

I forget most of them.

Here's one I remember: endet gut, alles gut - all's well that ends well.

He also taught us zu viele Koeche verderben den Brei - too many cooks spoil the broth. Is this a real German saying or was he pulling my leg? <--- another idiom!

• TD
    TD

LUHE

Those are both legitimate sayings, but I think you're much more likely to find them in print than to hear them in daily speech. The origin of the first one is actually English (Shakespeare) and the second, I believe is French.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I talked about grammatical cases a few pages back and focused on German cases because that's what I know best.

I haven't been keeping up my study of Arabic this past month or so (I've been getting my fork lift truck licence, applying for funding for a master's and attending job interviews) but I have learnt that Arabic also has a case system.

For me, the German case system is 'normal' and Arabic is a bit of a departure from that.

Arabic has three cases - nominative, genitive and accusative.

Each case has two endings - one is definite, one is indefinite.

The nominative is the subject of the sentence, as in German. But whereas the nominative in German is the simplest form of the noun, the form you'd find in a dictionary, this is not the case in Arabic. In other words, the noun has a nominative ending. (Well, actually two endings - either definite and indefinite!)

Allah (God) --> Allahu akbar (God is great).

At-taqs (the weather) --> at-taqsu harr (the weather's hot).

The accusative is the object of the sentence.

Akaltu samakan (I ate some fish); akaltu as-samaka (I ate the fish) ... from samak (fish).

The genitive is kinda similar to the genitive in German, in that it means 'of the [noun]'.

E.g. sandal al-waladi - the boy's sandals, 'sandals of the boy' (walad = boy; sandal = sandals).

But the genitive case is also used for 'preposition + noun' (this would be where nouns take the dative in German).

The good part about the case system in Arabic is that you don't have to use it. It's usually only used in formal speech - such as newsreaders and politicians.

One particular listening test in my studies was listening to a reporter talking about King Abdullah of Jordan. She used case endings with all nouns and I just couldn't get with it - the case endings were like noise that drowned out the actual words.

Another listening section was about the weather in different Arab cities and it just clicked - the case endings on certain nouns made sense and I didn't need to mentally translate from English, I got the meaning straight from Arabic.

But like I said, informal speech doesn't use case endings.

Kayfa haal at-taqsi fi London? - what's the weather like in London? (lit. how's the situation of the weather, genitive case).

And now without the case ending ...

Kayfa haal at-taqs? - what's the weather like?

At-taqsu baarid - the weather's cold.

At-taqs baarid - the weather's cold.

Haqibat al-binti - the girl's bag.

Haqibat al-bint - the girl's bag.

Very interesting to nerds like me. XD

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Look at the way this Egyptian guy writes the Arabic letters - beautiful handwriting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K83YZYcpExc

• waton
    waton
    A "Laufrad" is a small bicycle without pedals vaguely similar to what we call a scooter in English. Since (AFAIK) we don't really have an equivalent, it shouldn't be translated at all.
    The expression, "Affenzahn" shouldn't be translated literally; it's a colloquialism.

Laufrad is like the first, originally patented bicycle that had no pedals and gears, now for kids, and in North America is referred to as a Strider bike.

"Affenzahn" a derivative from the old expression "affenartige Geschwindigleit." Zahn from the sprocket teeth in the gearing required.

deeply descriptive.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's 1 - 10 in Swahili ...

1 - moja

2 - mbili

3 - tatu

4 - nne

5 - tano

6 - sita

7 - saba

8 - nane

9 - tisa

10 - kumi

Can you spot the numerals that are borrowed from Arabic?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here are some more numerals in Swahili ...

20 - ishirini (3ishreen)

30 - thelathini (thalatheen)

40 - arobaini (arba3een)

50 - hamsini (khamseen)

60 - sitini (sitteen)

70 - sabini (sab3een)

80 - themanini (thamaneen)

90 - tisini (tis3een)

100 - mia moja (mia)

... and there're all borrowed from Arabic!

(Arabic numerals in brackets.)

Pretty interesting, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit