Bible comes alive if we look for meaning behind the symbols it uses

by Ireneus 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Bible contains too much human thinking presented as though from God, thus much of its information brings dishonor to God.

Yet it contains great beneficial truths behind the symbols it uses. Let us take the only two cases of miracles Jesus performed without any request from anybody which would show the very purpose of his ministry:

1) Jesus healed a woman who “was bent over and could not straighten up at all.” (Luke 13:11-13)

2) Jesus healed a man disabled for 38 years. His problem was ‘no one helped him into the pool when the water was stirred because while he was trying to get in, someone else was going down ahead of him.’

(John 5:1-9)

Whether such miracles did happen or not is not important. Essence of these two accounts is that Jesus became friend of the friendless enabling men and women to stand up—something he himself showed through his life, symbolized in the saying “not one of his bones was broken.” (John 19:31-34) In other words, purpose of his ministry was to tell humans to stand on their bones [which support our whole body], the symbolic meaning of which is: ‘Be of strength, courage, and confidence, don’t be manipulated by others.’

• cofty
    cofty

You read the bible like it's a box of fortune cookies.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

This is an interesting perspective. However, I am done with the bible and other silly holy books.

I'll come back to it when someone finds the part where Jesus condemns slavery.

I find faecesbook memes more inspiring and less dull.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent, rambling opening post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

2+2=5,

This is how I read Scriptures and I derive tremendous benefit.I weed out things and take whatever good things I fihd in it.

Punkofnice,

I treat all the favorable references Jesus made to slavery as attributed to him. His life is his message, and he would not make such references.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Irene - I treat all the favorable references Jesus made to slavery as attributed to him.

I have to admit, I've never seen any. I'd be interested to know what verses they are.

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Hi Punkofnice,

In John 8:35 Jesus used the institution of slavery to make a contrast, and in Mathew 24:45 Jesus used the term "slave" in favorable light which creates the impression that Jesus didn’t repudiate slavery. Problem with such references is that it can be misused, as done in the history. "The first British slave ship to reach the Americas was known as The Good Ship Jesus." (http://www.kaystrom.com/blog/the-slave-ship-jesus)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks Irene, I'll have a butchers when I get chance.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. - Ephesians 6:5

Slavery was still ok with god even in the New Testament.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I've just looked at the scriptures you quote and I can only see them as not condemning slavery though. In using that idiom to illustrate anything, it intrinsically accepts slavery. In a tacit sense condones it. Shame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit