Words for the Day; please share

by compound complex 182 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Words are part of who we are.

Words are stories that will drive us mad.

Words are friendship in the life we hide.

Words are mumble jumble.

Words are eternal.

Words are pictures carved on ancient stone.

Words are Hitler, Mussolini, My Mother, Watchtower and God carved in stone.

Words are my thoughts in controversial comment,

Words are what make me seem stupid.

Words what's the point?

I haven't got a clue?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Half.

Did not think of that one.

Have been reading translations of old manuscripts.

Came across these:. Lacuna and solecism.

I. love. Words.

Sylvia

• Half banana
    Half banana

licence and license

practice and practise

.....both cases here are nouns followed by verbs .............(alphabetically C comes before S as Noun comes before Verb) but with;

principle and principal

.....they are both nouns but the second spelling can also be an adjective.

As in; The principal (adj) argument on moral principles (noun) was taught by the school principal.(noun)

Here endeth the lesson

• millie210
    millie210

How about Blether, blather and blither?

You do blather on.

Must you blether so?

He is a blithering idiot!

All with similar meanings.

What a fun thread this is.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Sylvia: antimony, antinomy, antonymy, autonomy and anatomy........read very fast

• snowbird
    snowbird

You go, Half!

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Mondegreen:

From the mishearing in a Scottish ballad of “laid him on the green” as “Lady Mondegreen.”

“Very close veins” is a mondegreen for “varicose veins.”

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mondegreen

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

I subsbriced last year word of the day http://www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/

Today its "aginner". Each word can be adopted to JW. I have become an aginner of all cults and JW through life experience.

The renascent religion that is now taking shape, it seems, had no founder; itpoints to no origins.
    God The Invisible King Herbert George Wells

Wells wrote in his book God the Invisible King (1917) that his idea of God did not draw upon the traditional religions of the world:

"This book sets out as forcibly and exactly as possible the religious belief of the writer. [Which] is a profound belief in a personal and intimate God. ... Putting the leading idea of this book very roughly, these two antagonistic typical conceptions of God may be best contrasted by speaking of one of them as God-as-Nature or the Creator, and of the other as God-as-Christ or the Redeemer. One is the great Outward God; the other is the Inmost God. The first idea was perhaps developed most highly and completely in the God of Spinoza. It is a conception of God tending to pantheism, to an idea of a comprehensive God as ruling with justice rather than affection, to a conception of aloofness and awestriking worshipfulness. The second idea, which is opposed to this idea of an absolute God, is the God of the human heart. The writer would suggest that the great outline of the theological struggles of that phase of civilisation and world unity which produced Christianity, was a persistent but unsuccessful attempt to get these two different ideas of God into one focus."[96]

Later in the work he aligns himself with a "renascent or modern religion ... neither atheist nor Buddhist nor Mohammedan nor Christian ... [that] he has found growing up in himself".[97]

Some fearful Faustian compact had taken place.
    -- Lawrence Durrell, "The Unspeakable Attaché," Stiff Upper Lip, 1958

Word of the day 31.3.2017

I feel the Weltschmerz about Jehovahs witnesses,

... i dont footle at all guys my word is not a platitude or plisky.

The species of this genus may be better known by the margaritaceous or pearly hues of their delicate mostly yellow, or pale straw-colored wings, which are in general rather faintly streaked with transverse lines ...
    -- James Francis Stephens, Illustrations of British Entomology, 1834

• snowbird
    snowbird

Apotropaic and revenant - from this weekend.

Sylvia

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

Throughout an entire talk the brother said Adultery rather than Idolatry. HA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit