Words for the Day; please share

by compound complex 182 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

fealty:

What true believer JWs give the Governing Body. Will fawning obeisance be next?

obeisance

• snowbird
    snowbird

To render obeisance to the GB will entail giving it the honor that is due to God.

I wish my grandpa had taken care to entail his timber holdings.

Dower

• snowbird
    snowbird

During days of yore, a wife's interest in her husband's property was termed a dower; some wives were given to fits of pique at having to deal with such pestilential concerns; others, affected with a goodly amount of dudgeon, primly refused to involve themselves in such matters.

escheat, warren, weir

• compound complex
    compound complex

escheat:

reversion of land to state when there are no heirs

warren:

Safely within the warren were the quivering rabbits; the raging storm without failed to buffet the now sheltered denizens.

weir:

This winter, in Sacramento, California, weirs (horizontal barriers across the width of a river) were opened manually to lower the steadily rising waters.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Even though the gale force winds threatened to buffet me off the path, I doggedly made my way to the country buffet.

Testy

• snowbird
    snowbird

The heat is causing quite a few of us to become just a little bit testy.

Callow

• compound complex
    compound complex

When a thoughtless and callow youth, I did things that now make me weep with shame.

definition: juvenile, naive, immature

new word: picaresque

• sparky1
    sparky1

Humerus

Humorous

As it turns out, breaking your arm is no laughing matter!

• snowbird
    snowbird

With a scandalous disregard for polite society, Rhett Butler was a picaresque as well as picturesque character.

Fallow

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Who knew about our new light is more like light bulbs burning out and needing to be replaced?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit