What a waste of money!

by Undecided 45 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

A less hypocritical place, Jesse. A place where unsupported myths are NOT held in the same or higher regard as simple honesty and due diligence. But mostly, overnight? It wouldn't be dramatically different at all, imo, not immediately anyway.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Hm... Sixy, do you think that the Soviet Union, China, and North Korea were places where unsupported myths were not held in higher regard than honesty and dilligence?

Religion doesn't cause ignorance and prejudice... ignorance and prejudcie causes bad religion. Eliminating the symptom would not cure the disease.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    the Soviet Union, China, and North Korea

I see your point, but I didn't really get a sense that that is the type of elimination of religion being talked about. More a happy-happy-fun time fantasy paradise type elimination-of-religion, lol.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Fair 'nuff, Sixy... I can't resist the occasional unfair debate tactic.

My point, however, was that people who don't want to think will still find some myth to believe in, whether it's Communist ideology, pseudo-scientific theories of racial superiority, or anything else that springs in to fill the void.

• heathen
    heathen

Religion is a snare and a rackett. I really don't care what you do with your time or money but I will firmly hold to my belief that religion is a waste of time and money.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I wonder if everyone in the whole earth believed the same "truth" would the earth be a peaceful place? If this would help, you would think a benevolent God would make it evident what that truth was. Instead we have thousands of different views of what truth is and plenty of people who believe each one. I'm not listening to any group, I have my own thoughts and inner feelings that I will try to listen to. If this doesn't work for me then I'm lost in a world of confusion and frustration.

Ken P.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

to figliodidante

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Frenchie,

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with religion, but you're wrong 3 billion don't suffer, YOU SUFFER, and some others do as well. But when we look at the goddless society in the guise of Stalin and Mao, we fair better with religion.

Churches generally don't exploit, they offer solace. Are we all willing to pick up the tab for the soup kitchens etc run by the various churches? The hospitals run by them? The Homeless shelters??

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

to figliodidante,

Well I just don't know (I'm not a devin) but it might could free everybody's mind and don't give anyone the right to persecute others because of their believes ...

There is always good stuffs in bad things, otherwise nobody would follow any religion. Like some people said in this post, so many religions ... and WHAT FOR ? ... WAR ACTUALLY (yesterday, today and tomorow) ... does it DESERVE IT ?

As human being we are able to :
    - love each other without any religion ... NO ? Sometimes just in having a look on them (even if it's not related to the beauty ... just looking in somebody's eyes, or way of being
    - hate each other for so many reason ... NO ? Religion is one of it (and A BIG ONE)

Sorry I'm quite tired reading and writing in English ... I've learned a lot with you all ... But what I most like with this web site is that people here seems to be so friendly ... STAY LIKE THAT PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE

read you all ... I may get less involved in the futur cause I'm quite stubborn, and arrongant most of the time, and I feel bad about that ... I need to cool down

Peace and love ...

Corinne

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heathen:

Religion is a snare and a rackett.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'd willingly fight for your right to express it.
    Your quotation is from Rutherford, isn't it?

Frenchie:

As human being we are able to :
    - love each other without any religion ... NO ? Sometimes just in having a look on them (even if it's not related to the beauty ... just looking in somebody's eyes, or way of being
    - hate each other for so many reason ... NO ? Religion is one of it (and A BIG ONE)

Agreed.
    However the converse is also true

IMHO religion isn't so much the issue as the human condition.
    If we could learn something new, whilst maintaining a measure of reasonableness regarding others opinions, we'd all get on a whole lot better.

Undecided:

I wonder if everyone in the whole earth believed the same "truth" would the earth be a peaceful place?

I don't believe any such utopia is possible. We are all subject to our subjective experiences and viewpoints. IMHO that's the joy of "Christian liberty" that allows one to have strength through diversity of consciencious opinion. Maybe some religions aren't too strong on that, and I'd have difficulty in stomaching such a group, too.

As I have so often stated (on this website and in various other places) I believe religion serves a purpose in the spiritually minded, as a stepping stone in forging a connection to "God". Once that connection has been forged, however, it can become a very slippery stepping stone indeed.
    Religion for religions own sake is an abomination, IMHO.

LT - "Unorthodox Christian, and regular churchgoer" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit