What a waste of money!

by Undecided 45 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

frenchbabyface

Social problems are not a priority for local government. Big, splashy churches are a priority, makes the city 'look good'.

go figure.

tal

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

The Anglican church building would be a heritage building, hundreds of years old, hence the rebuild. That the council would divert funds from the broader community to rescue a building that should have been adequately insured by its owners is a scandal.

However, it is not for outsiders to tell any group of like-minded individuals how to spend their money. Should they want to have a fancy building and can afford it with their own money, how has anyone lost? I hope those expressing this disgust also express it when they see the large opulent premises of succesful football clubs and veterans' associations...

My local club, of which I am a member; my fees go towards paying for the upkeep and improvement of the premises:

alt

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

TALISENOne of the Anglican churches in our city had a fire. The city contributed $350,000 to help rebuild.
    THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS OVER 1/4 MILLION $$$$
    BUT we can't afford a decent homeless shelter for women, or a skateboarding park for the teens.
    Social problems are not a priority for local government. Big, splashy churches are a priority, makes the city 'look good'.
    go figure.

STEPHANUSit is not for outsiders to tell any group of like-minded individuals how to spend their money …. how has anyone lost?

WELL I AGREE but the problem is actually that the government does sometimes spend everyone’s money (as I can read) … 1/4 MILLION $$$$ who has got to pay? At Least EVERYONE IN THE CITY I GUESS !

• teejay
    teejay

>>>> The truth is, churches are very helpful. They feed homeless, they clothe and house orphans, they visit the sickly, pay for the elderly's medical bills, give free counseling to drug addicts and alchoholics...I could go on and on. Take away churches and you take away many of the basic human needs of hundreds of thousands of people in this world.

Andi,

Thanks for saying this. When I was courier, I saw this firsthand when I occasionally made deliveries to churches. Well said.

Also, there is a huge church at the top of the hill of what was in frontier days the main street in the town I grew up in. As a teen when I took up photography and went on walks to find subjects, I happened to find that the doors of that humongous church were always open. So people needing a place of comfort or a place to pray always had one, and the pastor was probably around, too, in case someone needed counseling or some other kind of help.

Although I'm not a believer, I think churches do a lot of good for a lot of people. I also happen to think that a belief in god keeps under control a lot of people who might not otherwise be.

• teejay
    teejay

Got this email the other day. Just opened it.
    =====================================================

THOUGHT PROVOKING CHURCH SIGNS

1. There was a church that had problems with outsiders parking in its parking lots, so they put up a sign: CHURCH CAR PARK - FOR MEMBERS ONLY Trespassers will be baptized!

2. "No God - No Peace. Know God - Know Peace."

3. "Free Trip to heaven. Details Inside!"

4. "Try our Sundays. They are better than Baskin Robbins."

5. "Searching for a new look? Have your faith lifted here!"

6. An ad for one Church has a picture of two hands holding stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments are inscribed and a headline that reads, "For fast, fast, fast relief, take two tablets."

7. When the restaurant next to another Church put out a big sign with red letters that said, "Open Sundays," the church reciprocated with its own message: "We are open on Sundays, too."

8. "People are like tea bags - you have to put them in hot water before you know how strong they are."

9. "Fight truth decay - study the Bible daily."

10. "How will you spend eternity - Smoking or Non- smoking?"

11. "Dusty Bibles lead to Dirty Lives"

12. "Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world."

13. "It is unlikely there'll be a reduction in the wages of sin."

14. "Do not wait for the hearse to take you to church."

15. "If you're headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns."

16. "If you don't like the way you were born, try being born again."

17. "Looking at the way some people live, they ought to obtain eternal fire insurance soon."

18. "This is a ch_ _ ch. What is missing?" ---------(U R)

19. "In the dark? Follow the Son."

20. "Running low on faith? Step in for a fill-up."

21. "If you can't sleep, don't count sheep. Talk to the Shepherd."

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I do agree with the fact that churches can help / but it can also be done without being religious (division) a simple laic association for example (no division at all).

In case someone needed counselling

… OH YEAH … (???!!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit