A Beautiful Mind

by LittleToe 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Nina & Deb,

I was going to recommend "Adaption" too. Boring as hell and absolutely excellent at the same time. Simply a must see.

Syrup

• Robdar
    Robdar

Adaptation freaked me out. The movie was good, though. Good and yet disturbing. I don't think that I would watch it again. It gave me the willies.

Frank, I know what you mean about your inner idealist. I have one too. And I hate it that Ron Howard tried to manipulate mine.

Robyn

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Yes Rob, it was disturbing wasn't it. Made me think. I like to think.

Know whatcha mean though! Not your average movie.

Syrup

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

LT:

Loved "A Beautiful Mind", with Russell Crowe. Excellent movie.

Also loved "Dead Poet's Society". I went out and bought it to keep it on hand... very moving... my son watched it too and really liked it...Robin Williams has several really good movies... Did you see "What dreams may come? Another really good movie, but it wasn't too popular.. which surprised me.... Goodwill Hunting is a must see too... what can I say... I'm quite a Robin Williams fan... :)

Cruzan

"Adaptations."

Now that was a very different movie... it took a bit to get into it, but when I did, it stuck with me... I really did like it... very oddly reality based too, which added to it's presentation....

Robdar

"The thing that ruined it for me was that stupid, sappy speech where Nash (Crowe) said that love saved him. Yeah right. By the way, Nash never said that. I thought the ending was a shameless ploy to try to get me to cry. I think Nash's story deserved better than this."

I felt that way too, but that scene was redeemed, to me anyways, seeing Nash and his wife at the Academy Awards.... I think in many ways the movie was trying to make up for some of the injustice that happened to him... Maybe a bit of a slap in the face to the old establishment and their treatment of this brilliant man... The movie portrayed his illness very well I thought... in such a short time span, you could feel like you understood what he was dealing with...

Just my two

Inq

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yes Rob, it was disturbing wasn't it. Made me think. I like to think.

Surrep,

Are you implying that I don't like to think? The problem is that I had already thought about those things. It wasn't the thinking that freaked me out. It was when death came flying around the corner and out of the blue in nasty ways with no warning that disturbed me. The violence and the suddeness of the death bothered me alot.

Robyn

• Robdar
    Robdar

I felt that way too, but that scene was redeemed, to me anyways, seeing Nash and his wife at the Academy Awards.... I think in many ways the movie was trying to make up for some of the injustice that happened to him... Maybe a bit of a slap in the face to the old establishment and their treatment of this brilliant man... The movie portrayed his illness very well I thought... in such a short time span, you could feel like you understood what he was dealing with...

Inq,

To me there is no redeeming quality to what Ron Howard did. Just the fact that Nash won the Nobel is redeeming enough. Nash's story is fascinating in it's own right. His life's story is a success and doesn't need Ron's sappy love twist to make it all worth while in the end. It is still my opinion that Nash's story deserved better.

Robyn

• breal
    breal

I liked "A Beautiful Mind"

Recently we watched Antwone Fisher (based on a true story). It was moving.

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/antwonefisher/main.php

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Hi Rob,

In no way, shape or form was I implying that you don't like to think. I'm sorry it came across like that, it's not what I meant.

I agree with you about the violence and the death. It's just that the movie created a very "hey, this kind of thing happens to people every day and could happen to any of us" type of feeling.

Anyway, sorry. Didn't mean to get your dander up!

Syrup

• Robdar
    Robdar

Anyway, sorry. Didn't mean to get your dander up!

Syrup, my dander isn't up. Perhaps you didn't see my goofy icon? No need to worry.

Robyn

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Little Toe,

I also saw the movie....It was awesome...and very true-to-life....

I have a brother with the disease...

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit