Why is there such a 'high turnover' within the Jehovahs Witnesses?

by UnshackleTheChains 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

longhairGal - what you say is very true - Indeed early on I was told a daft thing by an elder that I needed to work fulltime to support my pioneer husband!!!! I immediately told my husband saying I thought I was supposed to be aiming to pioneer too!!! well we approached another elder and he said that elder is talking rubbish take not notice!!!

Just recently I have learned that high control groups tend to keep their members feeling uncertain and this uncertainty can build to feeling dread all the time. This then builds dependency and all of this may be done via unconscious psychological processes so even the hierarchy may not consciously know what they are creating and yet still they may feel the same uncertainty and dread. I realise now that throughout my time as witness I felt a this sense of uncertainty and dread and was probably building dependency on the group all the time.

edit: just to add there is debate about what exactly is going on in high control or cultic groups so there is no one size fits all model. I mention the above (dependency, dread and debility) because it closely matches my own experiences.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUBY:

Thanks. What that elder said about the other guy speaking rubbish is true. But, that's the tragedy of the Witness religion: these are uneducated men tampering with people's lives!

Their double-standard and preaching poverty for single women is something they cannot be forgiven for - ever.

I am glad I am out and am retired. But, it makes me angry to think how damaged I would have been if I listened to these people and quit my decent job in order to "pioneer". I'd be so screwed today it wouldn't even be funny! And to add insult to injury, if I was still going these hypocrites would be coming up to me and asking for money.

That's a good reason for me to never show my face there. I think I'd give a good swift kick to some idiot who had the nerve to ask for money.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Longhairgal

I,m pretty much screwed money wise and will need to rely on a state pension which I will not receive till I,m 66.

I really ought to have taken the first elder,s advice, the one who advised me to work full time. Looking back he and his wife had worked full time and he probably couldn't fathom how anyone could manage on part time work. He was not born in like the second elder.

edit: btw you come across as wise, strong and confident - all the qualities one needs to survive independently

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUBY:

Thanks again, but I was not born in but came in as a young adult. My family was horrified and thought I lost my mind. I was a disappointment to my father who felt I should have done better career wise and he was right. But I did okay.

I'm not so sure about the wisdom part, and I made my share of mistakes. But, I made it to retirement. You are right about that first elder who probably wondered how anybody could survive on part time work. I felt the same way and made sure I kept MY job. But, I was not married like you and had nobody to fall back on. As my Auntie told me: I was paddling my own canoe... I couldn't bring myself to do something so insane as to quit a decent job and pursue poverty. It's like these people want to see somebody ELSE jump from a plane without a parachute.

I was criticized by older people who already earned their living and those with worldly husbands who supported them with a pension. Some man worked 40 years! But, yet they were telling ME to pursue poverty while they lived a cushy life!!

The Witness religion, unfortunately, does not value the qualities of wisdom, strength and confidence in their followers- especially women - and are seeking to tear them down and abase them. Never forget that there are envious people in the JW religion who are bothered by people who seem to be doing okay.

Sorry for my long post but I had alot to say on this topic...I am glad I am no longer around them..Good luck to you.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I was a teenager when I became a witness. I was all set to do my A level and then go to uni. Well now I have finally completed my degree and I am very proud o f my BA in humanities with Classical Studies, first class honours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit