Why is there such a 'high turnover' within the Jehovahs Witnesses?

by UnshackleTheChains 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I happened to come across a Time article in 2008. It was basically talking about the high turnover in American faiths. It mentioned the jdubs and highlighted the following point.

An even more extreme example of what might be called "masked churn" is the relatively tiny Jehovah's Witnesses, with a turnover rate of about two-thirds. That means that two-thirds of the people who told Pew they were raised Jehovah's Witnesses no longer are — yet the group attracts roughly the same number of converts. Notes Lugo, "No wonder they have to keep on knocking on doors."

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1716987,00.html

Throughout my years as a witness, I have personally seen people come and go. The retention rate appears to be quite poor and not that many converts in the congregations I went to. I have seen quite a few people fade and disappear without a whisper of why? Some left because they didn't get on with the elders. One young lad left because he had a 'worldly' girlfriend. And another guy left because he didn't feel good enough!

Is this something you have experienced?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

That means that two-thirds of the people who told Pew they were raised Jehovah's Witnesses no longer are — yet the group attracts roughly the same number of converts.

Was that a necessarily 'bad' thing though from the JWs point-of-view?

The problem is that those who are 'born-in' become JWs by 'default' having made no real decision and are more likely to be 'weak' members.

Whereas those who have converted have made a specific decision to join and are therefore more likely to be 'stronger' members.

Of course the problem the JWs DO have. now. Is the lack of converts combined with born-ins leaving.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Is this something you have experienced?

Yes, left and right. It's all over the place. Consequences of mediocre management of a mediocre organization.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    The problem is that those who are 'born-in' become JWs by 'default' having made no real decision and are more likely to be 'weak' members.
    Whereas those who have converted have made a specific decision to join and are therefore more likely to be 'stronger' members

Darkspilver

I would have to agree with your point. A perfect example of this was when I recently went to an ex JW Meetup and this discussion came up.

I was a convert. For many years I was quite strong in my faith. Those at the ex JW Meetup who were brought up, mentioned that they never felt spiritual at all. I found this really interesting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

UNSHAKLETHECHAINS:

I'm not surprised that the Witness religion has a high turnover. Once people find out the real story and the all-consuming nature of it all, they are out of there.

I came in as a young adult interested in end-time prophecy. They misrepresented themselves.

The real story became apparent after a couple of years. It's like peeling an onion one layer at a time. Everybody is very secretive and nobody there will level with you about what is wrong. You have to find out on your own, one rude awakening after another. I was on the fringes of the religion.

I resisted attempts to get me to quit my full time job and looking back in retrospect I can say all the people who suggested it EARNED their living or were financially secure !..Yet they had the nerve to push poverty to young single women like me. Imagine the hypocrisy? My instincts told me they resented me as an independent young woman and didn't see me as a person who deserved what they had (and what I came from) namely security. So, in my opinion, they were trying to "abase" me. They got nowhere, but it only made me conscious of how envious they are.

If they were still living, I would track them down and write a well-deserved nasty letter telling them I am happily retired (no thanks to them) and want nothing to do with the JW religion. What they did is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It might be to the fact that the JWS religion is highly controlling over its devoted adherents and the majority of its core doctrines just dont stand up in strength toward their truthfulness or accuracy.

The Watchtower Corporation has been deceiving and corrupt in making up its doctrines which were more created toward their support of the literature the WTS published.

It would fair to say this commercial scam which is supported by a organized religion is loosing its viability and support.

• LV101
    LV101

darkspilver - I like your analogy of 'born-ins' and it makes sense. I can relate with what Unshackle says - I believed and tried to follow as a convert. Like Longhairgal it was one awakening then another - lots of horrifying eye openers. What a pecking order.

• LV101
    LV101

Hope Fink is right about the scam (love his words/descriptions) losing it's strength.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

the problem the JWs DO have. now. Is the lack of converts combined with born-ins leaving.

In the 33 years I had being a JW convert and the six or so congregations I was involved in I could count on one hand the amount of people who came to a meeting through invitations that were regularly distributed in the community.

The converts in the Western world has been dwindling for many years now and what converts their have now are from poor 3rd world countries who do not contribute much money.

I find it hard to comprehend why the WT has cut back on printing books and Mags and not willing to pay a tax on these sales. ( It could be argued that they are only paying back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar

They have something like 7-8 million sure sales of these publications every time they produce a new publication.

I`m sure a worldly publishing company would consider that a dream result in sales.

Also ,it was once said that Advertisers had approached the WT to use their Mags for their products recognizing the distribution these Mags had worldwide ,what a misplaced opportunity then.

They could have been selective as to what was advertised in their mags.but look at the revenue they could have enjoyed with volunteer `s distributing these books and magazines worldwide.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I think the reason the havnt decided to pay tax on their rags, is in one word "PRIDE". To pay tax would be like having to admit they were wrong, and greatly underestimated their members support. As I don't live in the USA, can someone please tell me if it's now possible to reverse their tax free status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit