Columbus Circle monument could be next statue to go

by freemindfade 79 Replies latest social current

• never a jw
    never a jw

never a jw: You seem to be arguing for statues of perfect people or, no statues

No Simon. I just think that Columbus is overrated. He comes from an era when might was right. And he certainly increase the might of many European nations. Today I rather see statues of people who have made great contributions to humanity. Take Alexander Fleming for example. His discovery deserves far more credit than Columbus' and I yet have to see statues of Fleming or anyone celebrating Fleming's day.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Put Columbus where he belongs: a brave and skillful explorer, nothing more - maybe 'a brave and skilful explorer' deserves a monument?

• never a jw
    never a jw

"maybe 'a brave and skilful explorer' deserves a monument?"

Why not, a little one. But Columbus Day? That's a whole different story that needs revising.

• Hecce
    Hecce

I think that I was very clear as to mentioning Columbus as an explorer and nothing else. The freedoms that came out were related to social changes influenced by advanced European thinkers and the will of the natives here to try a system of Government different to the traditional Europeans Monarchies.

I view Columbus in the same light as Lewis and Clark.

I keep saying you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    never a jw
    "maybe 'a brave and skilful explorer' deserves a monument?"
    Why not, a little one. But Columbus Day? That's a whole different story that needs revising.

This is an interesting point, the same people that are tearing down Columbus, fought very hard to get an MLK national holiday.

Please, be honest and tell me which one of the two made more significant contributions for mankind.

• never a jw
    never a jw

"I view Columbus in the same light as Lewis and Clark"

I guess we agree after all.

• never a jw
    never a jw

MLK, hands down. I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about creating a holyday for him though. Kids need to stay in school a little longer. Government employees too need to try a little harder to earn those fat pensions that are bankrupting every government in the world.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    never a jw
    "I view Columbus in the same light as Lewis and Clark"
    I guess we agree after all.

Just up to a point, what Columbus did was way, way bigger and with less resources than Lewis and Clark.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    MLK, hands down

Why?

His deeds were related to a US segment of the population and if we are going to believe the current state of race relations in America nothing has been resolved. I think that his early demise derailed his movement and was an impediment for many of the changes that he was advocating. And remember he was a Republican.

Columbus affected the world not just one country.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

We need to replace that horrible American flag!!

And of course Mt Rushmore, the Shrine of Democracy" must be blown to smithereens. In the interest of PC fairness of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit