Columbus Circle monument could be next statue to go

by freemindfade 79 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Christopher Columbus could be next on the monuments chopping block.

The 76-foot structure honoring the explorer at Columbus Circle should be among the statues reviewed by the city for potential purging, City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said on Monday.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/columbus-circle-monument-could-be-next-statue-to-go/

If this goes on, these people are just validating what the orange one said, where will it stop?

How will people 200 years from now look back on us? Most historical figures are not without "sin" by modern standards.

We are so stupid, we are tearing down statues of people who committed social wrongs in the past by modern standards, yet we insulate and excuse the religion of Islam that is actually currently living like its 200 years ago. Ass backwards

• waton
    waton

there is a parallel with ISIS, It is in part a generational thing, the king of Jordan said.

The "victim/victor" rewriting history before the victory.

We are so stupid, we are tearing down statues of people...

stupid like the germans first killing millions of their brightest citizen, only to replace them now with the opposite, opposers.Even

Canada is getting on the band bulldozer, starting to remove Sir J. A. Macdonald's names, statues?

• John Davis
    John Davis

I had a history teacher that would put Columbus on trial every year with his class on Columbus day. the teacher would charge him with genocide and crimes against humanity.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

goodness you all have a lot of statues commemorating your history. Ours are mostly from the ancient Jewish, Chrisitan, Greek and Roman world's.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

oh please - that is not going to happen.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

The book burning has begun!

They will begin with slave holders, then they will broaden the scope to anyone who oppressed natives or held slaves, finally they will move on to those historical figures judged to be sexist (all).

They will never be satisfied until all history is erased and replaced by the single sentence: "we are sorry we made western civilization".

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Ours are mostly from the ancient Jewish, Chrisitan, Greek and Roman world's.

If we dug into the actions of any past figures most would have reputations that do not fit our modern sensibilities. Do we tear down everything?

• cobweb
    cobweb

I think its likely a tactic to create a deliberate backlash. Like Trump said, what about Washington etc. Noone would extend it that far but suggesting it would creates outrage.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Most historical figures are not without "sin" by modern standards.
    I've mentioned to my friends that it is the net value of someone's actions that should dictate whether it should have a statue. For example, let's say a man robbed a bank. Well, he is now a bank robber. Should he have a statue? Of course not..But let's say that some time later, he went to school, became a scientist and created a cure for a major disease? Should he have a statue? Well....yes. The net value of what he contributed to society is largely positive.
    I have a hard time making this same case for Robert E Lee, but for most of these other statues in consideration, I would argue they should stay.
  • sir82
    sir82

I have a hard time making this same case for Robert E Lee, but for most of these other statues in consideration, I would argue they should stay.

That is of course a highly rational argument.

Thus, you can expect a chorus of accusations that you are an "antifa", a member of the "regressive left", and so on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit