Any Contractors here that can HELP ME?????????????????????

by plmkrzy 36 Replies latest jw friends

• KGB
    KGB

First of all I wold call a city inspector he will come and take a look at it. If it is deemed unfit he will condem the building until it is fixed. I also wanted to let you know that the mildew can he a health hazard and can be deadly too. If the mold gets into yourr lungs it can cause infection and can kill you. It is esoecially bad for small children and elderly.

I would go to the city and fast and I would get in contact with Legal Aid in your home town they are there to help renters with problems just like yours.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

plmkrzy

Bleach will not take care of the mold problem in your apartment. Mold can be deadly depending on what type of mold it is. If mold is on your ceiling there is more between the ceiling and the roof. Mold can make you very very sick and have life long affects on you. If at all posible move! I do agree take lots of pictures. Hope you are able to get out of there it's doesn't sound like it's good for you. Do some research on black mold it's not good.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

Check clarkhoward.com for laws of your state and GET OUT NOW

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've worked in real estate since 1984, you need to make two phone calls right now. The first is to the government agency (or agencies) responsible for building inspections. I don't know California law it may be state or county or city. The second call should be to an attorney. Your landlord is making you live in in unsafe and unsanitary conditions and is very likely to have to pay for your costs to move some place else.

Trust me, nothing will get their attention like an attorney, and it shouldn't cost you anything. Look up Real Estate Law in the phone book, you should be able to find some one that can help.

FYI I won't work for people like that, they give a bad name to all of us in the industry and it pisses me off.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Plummy. Being as paranoid as I am Id get the pics and documents recording your payments of rent out of the house. Id keep them somewhere independant. Other than that, if youve got pics I wouldnt worry over much, Youll be fine. The judge (arbiter) will likely go for a compromise solution, middle ground. You wont be found guilty and fined or anything. Not that I can see.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Plm, I'm not so sure that not paying rent is the best idea. Depending on the local laws and enforcers thereof, the mgmt could use that against you. Dangerous conditions or not, you are still living in and on their property and once this goes to court they may get extremely nasty.

Have you tried getting the local media involved? It would be a good idea to make the public aware of what's going on.

Mike.

p.s. This is exactly why I always rent from private individuals instead of rental companies.

• KGB
    KGB

Bendrr,

In the state of California and I know this because I was a property manager there for many years, if you can prove that you have made request for the problems to be repaired and the repairs are not being completed then yes by law you do not have to pay rent. Although it depends on the situation too. There in your city you can make your rent payments to them and they hold these rent collections for the renter and when after your done with court and the court decides who pays what then whatever amount released by the court will go to the owner. It is wise to pay your rent especially if the judge sides for the owner or management company then you do not have a large sum of money to come up with. If the Judge decides for the renter then the owner has to pay. California is a state that sides more for the renter than for the owners.....

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OK I am scanning this in a hurry because I am, well in a hurry. lol! I needed to see if anyone else responded.

First of all...THANKYOU SO MUCH ALL OF YOU AND BLESS YOUR WITTLE HEARTS!

At least now I know I am not being "paranoid"

bendr

This is not a rent control area if that is what you are referring to. It does usually fall in the favor of the Landlord around here. One thing that could be on our side though is most multiple dwellings in this area are well kept and those owners would probably not take kindly to a slumlord. It brings down the value of everyone around them and threatens rent control for the future. This owner could possibly end up being the cause of rent control being passed here. That would really make some owners and or corporations not happy campers.

I am hoping for a settlement that would make the owner responsible for helping us move out and responsible for most if not all expenses

Refiners,

Id get the pics and documents recording your payments of rent out of the house. Id keep them somewhere independant.

That is something I wouldn’t have thought about doing. Putting things in perspective, it may not be all that paranoid if the owner feels he has multiples of thousands to lose if we won in court or even if the building was condemned.

I do not believe he is above paying people off either. Not now.

I feel sick.

Kgb,

I don’t know if I completely agree with the side that is favored most, but I hope you are right.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Plmkrzy: I manage commercial retail and condominium complexes ... when you call me, we can discuss this in greater detail. PM me if you need my work phone number. Essentially, you have the upper hand, but I have some tips that may be useful to you. - Jim W.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

willow

Bleach will not take care of the mold problem in your apartment. Mold can be deadly depending on what type of mold it is. If mold is on your ceiling there is more between the ceiling and the roof.

I totally believe you are right.

Check this out,

The shower tiles in the master bath began popping out. They knocked out some of the tiles and while he was working in the shower, I peeped in on him and saw him scoop out an arm full of sludge and he sat back in the shower and gasped. The shower door was blocking his view from seeing me.

He covered it with drywall and put up a few new tiles then said don't take a shower for at least 24 hours then it will be ok.

He then told his partner to go get some lawn and leaf bags and hurry. He scooped the sludge into the bags and the partner took them out immediately and disposed of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit