What is the org’s view on extraterrestrial life?

by My Name is of No Consequence 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I am sure that it has been discussed before. But just out of curiosity, what is the org’s view on extraterrestrial life? The org certainly agrees that the universe is infinitely large. But do they agree that it is possible that we are not alone? Do they concede that life (even in its most rudimentary form) could exist somewhere in the far reaches of space?
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    ET might be apostate. Best not to even say hello.
  • Simon
    Simon

Their beliefs hint at them not believing it exists (other than Angels) but I don't think they have ever really taken a stance on it but I stand to be corrected.

Whether any simple or complex life was every discovered I expect all religions would first deny it (clinging to the idea that we are unique) and then immediately try and incorporate it into their belief structure.

• WatchtowerReviewz
    WatchtowerReviewz

I would ask this a lot back when I was in. The response I got was along the lines of "Yes there is life elsewhere in the universe. We must remember that Jehovah created other spiritual beings before us!"

Pretty much deflect the question and answer with a strawman like they do with EVERYTHING else that they have no real answer for. Sometimes I would hear the real nutty ones talk about Satan appearing before humanity as UFOs and that if there are aliens, it must obviously be Satan and his demons.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg is 100% in disagreement against ET life!! Perhaps the strongest argument the Borg has against ET life is that of Universal Sovereignty. Any over righteous JW will adamantly argue their point of ''Why would Jehovah send down his firstborn and Mighty Son Jesus to die for imperfect mankind?''

Secondly, should/when the governments of the world ever,ever, ever announce Disclosure of Alien Life, I firmly believe the WTBS has a secret agenda to tell the rank and file something along the lines of ''It's Satan and his Demons trying to deceive us''. Some crafty under their sleeve agenda to keep the rank and file in line.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

They wouldn't concede that life could evolve anywhere, so saying that there might be life elsewhere would require that they admit that Jehovah created life on other planets. Since the bible says he does nothing without letting his prophets know, they're not likely to admit that possibility.

They're also incredibly adept at ignoring evidence of terrestrial life, instead insisting that we just appeared here 6000 years ago. I suspect that if ET life is ever discovered, they'll simply refuse to acknowledge it and will, at best, publish articles full of logical flaws that don't address the actual evidence but instead suggest that any evidence found was the result of misconduct or insufficient rigor on the part of the scientists.

• Simon
    Simon

Kind of related, but there seemed to be a definite propensity within JWs to believe in whacky stuff* - any conspiracy theory (e.g. faked moon landings) and things like Big Foot. They would state the claims as though it was proven reality but for some reason I can't remember anyone ever believing in UFO's much - maybe they felt it contradicted the spirit-creature belief.

*I blame the low education standards - it's a religion for dumb people.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Assuming for the sake of argument that they exist: angels and demons are extra-terrestrial beings.

JWs have not really thought through their own belief system; if they do, they leave the religion because it is internally incoherent and contradictory.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I just thought of something if the ''Disclosure Project'' comes to fruition and World Governments admit ''Disclosure''.

I could see a few things happening with the rank and file

1) The Borg will publish a series of broadcasts and WT's about Disclosure being one of Satan's tools to trick the JW's about Universal Sovereignty. Many, Many JW's will accept the Borg's explanation.

2) Quite a few JW's will just accept the fact that ''we are not alone in the Universe'' and that we are just kind of a little ''Bay'' in an immense Universe.

3) A few would admit '' Well the bible doesn't say anything about God NOT creating life elsewhere, so let's accept the fact about ET life now!""

4) I could see a few JW's going off the deep and perhaps committing suicide. This group being amongst the 40-50 years group being in the Borg, after realizing being ''lied'' to for decades, and decades.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@ Oubliette:

I agree. But I don't think that they put angels in the same category as "aliens" or "little green men". You do bring up a good point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit