Help, my son has turned American !

by Simon 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Deleted duplicate and missing text.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

My son turned "American" (actually Minnesotan) some time ago but he has lived most of his life in the US. His accent still has enough "British English" in it to make it different and I suppose that is my influence. According to his relatives, he is totally American so I guess the subtleties that make him different in the USA are missed by the non-Americans who only hear the overwhelming Americanisms.

As for me, I think I still have an English accent but I have changed the pronunciation of numerous words including herb, yogurt, tomato, route, basil, and banana, (funny they are mainly food related) and this has happened without a conscious effort on my part so I suspect there are a lot more changes. I guess I have a rather hybrid accent, having once spoken with an Australian accent and replaced it with a midland English accent. Since I am 1/4 Irish as well I am not bothered whether people mistake me for being from Ireland or from down-under, although I rarely get asked where I am from, unlike when I first moved to the US.

A couple of years ago I visited my company offices in Paris and Southampton, England. The Controller in France struggled to place my accent in any particular US region, not making the logical step that just because I was a Minneapolis employee I might not be native. As for the English, they at least knew I was British but thought I was Welsh!

Thirdson

(Of the no particular accent and no representation class)

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Help, my son has turned American !

Not that there's anything wrong with that!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Pip Pip, Cheerio my good man!

• Shakita
    Shakita

My 11 year old daughter does a great british accent.....watching too many Harry Potter movies I think.

Blondie, you might want to add Boston to your list of accents here in the US. I knew someone who said "car", "yard", all the arrrr words with a definite accent....love to hear them talk. Also, when we took a vacation up in Cape Cod, they also had the same accent.

Mrs. Shakita

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Simon, Americans don't have an accent, cher....yall do...

Frannie B (of the Southern Molasses Lingo Class)

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hey Simon ! He just might be the next great impressionist.Ever since Rich Little,Canadian born,no one has stepped up to entertain us like the great impressionists of the past.Just a thought with a little more practice he could make you more famous.

Blueblades

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I wouldn't worry too much about it Simon. Now if he ever says "Y'all", be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I thought a Canadian accent was when you ended all your statements with "ehh"!

j2bf

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

nothing wrong with people turning American, British, Canadian, Australian -- look at all the immigration statistics -- see where the majority of the worlds immigrants want to move to or are trying and risking life and limb to get into -- we of these countries must be doing something right - so when people make fun of us -- I always believe actions speaking far louder tham any words will ever do. (Sorry if that sounds nationalistic and not being no part of the world -- and not voting for gods kingdom -- it will get me disfellowshipped)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit